Skip navigation links
Waste Disposal
Skip navigation links
Need Help-FAQ's
Report a Problem
Single-Family Home Recycling Guidelines
Multifamily-Dwelling Recycling Information
Garbage Collection Guidelines-Unincorporated
Yard Waste Collection Guidelines
Bulky Waste Guidelines--Unincorporated
Collection Service Schedule-Unincorporated
Service Area Maps and Providers
Request a Recycling Cart (Unincorporated Areas Only)
Residential Dropoff Center
Community Cleanups for Unincorporated Residents
Need Help-FAQ's

Report a Service Problem
Request Additional Carts
Sorting Your Recyclables
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Pay For These Services?
Neighborhood Recycling Aides
Program Contacts 

Choice Environmental Services 954-582-9300
Unincorporated Customer Service Line   954-765-4999 
Adopt-A-Street/Keep Broward Beautiful   954-765-4999 

Frequently Asked Questions 

What should I do if I have items that are not accepted for curbside collection?

Many of the items that are unacceptable for curbside collection are acceptable at our Trash Transfer Stations and Household Hazardous Waste facilities at no additional cost. For items that are not accepted at these facilities, there are alternate disposal sites available for disposal for a fee.

Why was I given a swale violation for waste I didn't put on my swale?

The property owner is responsible for maintaining the swale, including clearing and removing any illegally dumped waste. Please file a report with Broward Sheriff's Office (BSO), including any information regarding the vehicle or person(s) involved. While this may not seem fair to the property owner, the fact is that unless the illegal dumping is witnessed and reported, there is no way to determine responsibility. The burden then falls on the property owner.

Who picks up waste that is illegally dumped in your yard?

The property owner is responsible for clearing and removing waste that is illegally dumped on his or her property. Please file a report with the Broward Sheriff's Office. The report should include any information you have about the vehicle(s) or people involved.

Who do we contact if our garbage, bulky waste or recycling is not picked up?

If you put out acceptable materials on your scheduled garbage, bulky waste or recycling collection days and the materials are not collected, you can report it online or call our Customer Service line at 954-765-4999. A field supervisor will investigate the situation and work with the service provider to resolve the problem promptly.

I use a landscape company to maintain my yard. Do they have to follow the collection guidelines?

Yes, if the landscape company uses your curbside solid waste collection services for the disposal of yard waste from your yard, then they must follow the collection guidelines. Be sure they understand the collection guidelines. Otherwise, it will be your responsibility to properly prepare any items they place curbside that do not comply with guidelines.


In Unincorporated Broward County, a non-ad valorem special assessment is added to the annual tax bill for single-family homes and multifamily properties with less than 10 units. This assessment covers the cost of your solid waste and recycling collection services, trash transfer stations, and community cleanup programs.

If you live in a newly constructed home, your new home may not yet be on the tax roll for the solid waste and recycling special assessment, so Broward County authorizes your hauler to bill you directly for collection services. For the first year, you will be billed a pro-rated amount from the date the Certificate of Occupancy was issued for your home to December 31. Broward County will often authorize your hauler to bill you directly for the following year, from January 1 to December 31. This is because it can take more than a year for the assessment to be added to your tax bill. Once it is, you will no longer be billed by your hauler. The assessment is paid in advance of services. It might appear that you are paying for your solid waste and recycling services twice, but you are not. If you have questions, please call 954-765-4999 or e-mail recycle&

Reporting Issues

When you call our Customer Service line to report a service issue, we will take the necessary information and forward it to one of our field supervisors. The field supervisor will investigate and determine whether the resident has complied with collection guidelines. If so, the field supervisor will work with the hauler to resolve it. If the resident did not comply with established guidelines, the field supervisor will start the Swale Notice of Violation process.

Field supervisors also monitor garbage, bulky waste and recycling collection services; provide program information to residents, and investigate early or late set-outs of garbage, recycling and bulk waste.

Neighborhood Recycling Aides 

Neighborhood Recycling Aides (NRAs) serve as neighborhood contacts who personally address your questions and concerns. They work primarily with residents of single-family homes, and generally work evenings and weekends when residents are more likely to be at home. Through your NRAs, you can learn about the proper preparation of recyclables, garbage and bulky waste before you set it out. NRAs help ensure that residents have all the information they need through door-to-door contact, civic association meetings, customer service surveys, and by taking part in special events, litter patrols and community cleanups.

Call 954-765-4999 for more information.

Residential Solid Waste and Recycling Collection Programs

  • Swale Violation Program
  • Multifamily Recycling Program
  • Community Cleanup Programs - 954-765-4999