share   tweet

How does the spray request work? 
Mosquito spraying is a free service provided by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners. You contact our office by phone or mosquito spray request form, and provide us with your name, telephone number, address including the city and zip code, name of your development (if applicable), and gate code (if applicable). Then, your location will be scheduled to be sprayed by a truck. 

How soon after the request will the spraying take place?
3-4 business days, weather permitting. However because of high demand for spraying because of Zika concerns, it can now take a week or longer.

How is the spraying done?
By truck mostly. However, we will conduct aerial spraying and door-to-door backpack spraying should the need arise.

What time of day is the spraying done?
Between 2 AM and 8 AM by truck. Aerial spraying for mosquito larvae, if done by helicopter, is in the early morning hours between 1 AM and 6 AM. If done by plane, because they need to fly during daylight hours, between 6 AM and Noon.

What are you using to kill mosquito larvae?
The main product we are using is called VectoBac WDG. The active ingredient is Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (Bti​, strain AM65-52). It is an organic product found in the earth, and is not harmful to humans, pets, acquatic areas or environmentally sensitive areas. It is not the product Naled, the product known to kill bees, which you've probably heard so much about. That product is an adulticide. We are using a larvicide targeted at killing the larvae.

Can I request an aerial (airplane) spraying?
Areas to be sprayed by airplane must meet state requirements. These areas are determined by the Mosquito Control Manager after testing has been done and limits have been met.
How frequently can I request a spray?
Anytime there are mosquitos outside of your residence.
Who can I contact if I have a problem with bees?
You can contact a beekeeper or pest control Service. Telephone numbers are listed in the Yellow Pages.
Who can I contact if I have whitefly or other insects?
Call 954-357-5270-Broward Extension Education/A Partnership with The University of Florida – Institute of Food & Agricultural Science or The University of Florida – Institute of Food & Agricultural Science (, or the University of Florida – Tropical Research (
Who can I contact to report an abandoned pool or a neighbor who is not maintaining their pool?
You can call the State of Florida Health Department/Environmental Health at 954-467-4705. Additionally, you can report the problem to your city Code Enforcement office.
If you have additional questions, you can contact Mosquito Control at 954-765-4062 or submit your question(s) to the Biologist.​