Email Dos and Don’ts
Email has become one of the primary ways we communicate in our professional and personal lives. There are certain guidelines that should be followed when using email.
- County emails should never be forwarded to personal email accounts such as Gmail and Yahoo mail as these are not secure repositories for County data
- Please note that emails sent to external email addresses are the property of the email service provider.
- Do not default to “Reply All” to an email that was addressed to numerous recipients or email groups.
- Do not use your work email account to forward spam and non-business emails.
- Do not open attachments from unknown sources.
- Never offer any personal information or login credentials when requested by an email. These are
phishing schemes to obtain your credentials.
- Use a proper subject line to help the recipient prioritize their inbox.
- Keep your messages short and to the point.
- If there is repeated back and forth on a subject it, is often best to pick up the phone.