HOMELESSNESS COLLABORATIVE IN BROWARD
“To end homelessness for everyone, we must link people experiencing unsheltered homelessness, including people sleeping and living in encampments, with permanent housing opportunities matched with the right level of service to ensure that those housing opportunities are stable and successful. It is only through the provision of such opportunities that we can provide lasting solutions for individuals and communities.”
U.S. Interagency Council on Homelessness
“Ending Homelessness for People Living in Encampments: Advancing the Dialogue”
- It is not a crime to be homeless.
- Encampments are an indication of a critical need to create more effective local systems for responding to unsheltered homelessness.
- Homelessness is a humanitarian crisis and our community has a moral obligation to help.
- Ending unsheltered homelessness in Broward County will be addressed with a well-planned, humane and dignified approach to preserve quality of life for all. It will require a collective solution as it is a community problem; public-private partnerships are critical to success.
- Unplanned efforts to end encampments often distract communities from proven solutions that put “housing first” to help ensure more rapid stability, safety, security and well-being for persons experiencing and exiting chronic homelessness.
- Partners engaged in efforts to end homelessness in Broward County are committed to providing a wide range of interim and permanent low-barrier housing solutions, with ongoing supportive services including relationship-based care that ensure a clear path to permanent housing based on individual needs.
- Success requires an intensive and persistent outreach and engagement effort.
- Well-intended members of the community play an important role in ending homelessness; however, meal sharing and outreach efforts must be unified and coordinated with public, private and nonprofit/faith-based efforts, conducted in a dignified manner under sanitary conditions, and directed in ways that support a path to safe, stable, permanent housing.
- If you are a member of the business community and want to learn more about the Broward Business Council on Homelessness, please call 954-462-4850 or visit UnitedWeEndHomelessness.org. Individuals, families and community organizations wishing to participate in collaborative efforts to end homelessness are encouraged to seek information on this website, Broward.org/EndHomelessness, call 954-357-6101 or email AWayHome@Broward.org. You can also follow us on social media at Twitter.com/BCHomelessness, on Facebook at facebook.com/BCHomelessness, or Instagram at instagram.com/BCHomelessness.
- View more videos on YouTube.