The federal asbestos regulations have been established by the U.S. EPA through the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Asbestos at 40 CFR 61 Subpart M. The NESHAP is supplemented by State of Florida rules and by Broward County Code:
- The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations (DBPR) regulates the licensing of persons or companies engaged in removing asbestos from or demolishing regulated structures. The DBPR also certifies and approves training programs for institutions involved in the training and certification of consultants, contractors, project monitors, project supervisors or workers.
- The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has established requirements for the notification of projects subject to the NESHAP and the submittal fees associated with certain projects.
- Broward County has adopted both the federal NESHAP and DEP’s rules by reference and has established additional notification and fee requirements.
Building Demolition and Renovation Notification Requirements
Are you planning to demolish or renovate an existing structure?
- A completed Statement of Responsibilities Regarding Asbestos (SRRA) must be submitted to Broward County via the ePermits.broward.org website.
- A Certificate of Submittal is required by City and Municipal government building departments in Broward County before issuance of a demolition/renovation permit.
- A Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form is also required to be submitted at least ten (10) working days before start of the demolition or renovation project. This applies to ALL demolition projects, involving nonresidential buildings or residential buildings with four (4) or more building units or renovation projects involving nonresidential buildings or residential buildings with four (4) or more dwelling units affecting 160 square feet, 260 linear feet (e.g. pipe insulation) or 35 cubic feet or more of regulated asbestos containing materials (RACM).
- The Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form must be submitted to the Environmental Engineering and Permitting Division at least ten (10) working days in advance of the proposed demolition, regardless of the amount of RACM. If you require further information, please contact the Environmental Engineering and Permitting Division at 954-519-1483.
- Submit the Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form to the Environmental Engineering and Permitting Division via AsbestosSurvey-Notice@broward.org or AirAsbestos@broward.org or via the Florida DEP Business Portal (Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation).
- A demolition or renovation fee will also be required for the notification to be deemed complete (Click here for Broward County’s Fee Schedule).
*RACM is any asbestos containing material that is considered friable, or which may reasonably be expected to become friable as a result the removal process.
Broward County Inspections
Broward County conducts inspections of demolition and renovation sites to ensure compliance with federal, state and Broward County asbestos NESHAP requirements. Broward County initiates enforcement actions for failure to provide required asbestos survey, ten (10) working day advance notice of such activities as well as non-compliance with specific asbestos handling work practices.