All asbestos related inquiries should be directed to: AsbestosHelp@Broward.org
Please read through the following information prior to submitting email inquiries.
The federal asbestos regulations have been established by the U.S. EPA through the National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Asbestos at 40 CFR 61 Subpart M. The NESHAP is supplemented by State of Florida rules and by Broward County Code:
- The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulations (DBPR) regulates the licensing of persons or companies engaged in removing asbestos from or demolishing regulated structures. The DBPR also certifies and approves training programs for institutions involved in the training and certification of consultants, contractors, project monitors, project supervisors or workers.
- The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has established requirements for the notification of projects subject to the NESHAP and the submittal fees associated with certain projects.
- Broward County has adopted both the federal NESHAP and DEP’s rules by reference and has established additional notification and fee requirements.
View the Third Annual Asbestos Webinar
Click here to watch this webinar for professionals in the asbestos industry, building officials, and anyone interested in learning more about asbestos compliance when performing building demolition or renovation projects. Learn about regulations and applicable requirements, Statement of Responsibilities Regarding Asbestos (SRRA), asbestos notifications and surveys, non-compliance, and more.
Building Demolition and Renovation Notification Requirements
Are you planning to demolish or renovate an existing structure?
- Please visit the ePermits.broward.org website for ALL demolition and renovation projects and click here to view how to submit an SRRA through our ePermits system.
- A Certificate of Submittal is required by City and Municipal government building departments in Broward County before issuance of a demolition/renovation permit.
- A Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form is also required to be submitted at least ten (10) working days before start of the demolition or renovation project. This applies to ALL demolitions and renovations of all structures, installations, and buildings (excluding residential buildings that have four or fewer dwelling units). Additional requirements apply to all demolitions or renovations of buildings affecting 160 square feet, 260 linear feet (e.g. pipe insulation), or 35 cubic feet or more of regulated asbestos containing materials (RACM).
- The Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form must be submitted to the Natural Resources Division at least ten (10) working days in advance of the proposed demolition, regardless of the amount of RACM. If you require further information, please contact the Natural Resources Division at 954-519-0340.
- Submit the Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation form to the Natural Resources Division via AsbestosSurvey-Notice@broward.org or AsbestosHelp@broward.org or via the Florida DEP Business Portal (Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation).
- A demolition or renovation fee may also be required for the notification to be deemed complete (Click here for Broward County’s Fee Schedule).
*RACM is any asbestos containing material that is considered friable, or which may reasonably be expected to become friable as a result the removal process.
Broward County Inspections
Broward County conducts inspections of demolition and renovation sites to ensure compliance with federal, state and Broward County asbestos NESHAP requirements. Broward County initiates enforcement actions for failure to provide required asbestos survey, ten (10) working day advance notice of such activities as well as non-compliance with specific asbestos handling work practices.