The role of the Community Engagement Section of the Division is to engage community through the arts, integrate arts, culture and creativity with economic, educational and health initiatives throughout Broward County, and encourage support for the arts at the local, state and federal levels.
- Accessibility to and active participation in the arts provides lifelong learning opportunities and increases the quality of life across the lifespan.
- The arts develop skills needed by the 21st century workforce: critical thinking, creative problem solving, effective communication, teamwork.
- The arts allow people to express themselves creatively and bolster their self-confidence and keep students engaged in school and less likely to drop out.
- The use of arts practices in healthcare has been proven to not only benefit patients, but also help contain healthcare costs - a win-win for everyone.
- Arts and Culture contributed $698 billion to the U.S. economy or 4.32% to the GDP, more than construction or transportation and ware-housing. Source: U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Every day, more than 100,000 nonprofit arts and culture organizations act as economic drivers - creating an industry that supports jobs, generates government revenue, and is the cornerstone of our tourism industry. Source: Americans For The Art
- For every $1 invested in creative industries, $5 is returned to local and state government treasuries. Source: Florida Cultural Alliance.
The Community Engagement Section manages both programs and partnerships. Its programs include: The Arts Education Directory; ArtsEd Forever!; Broward Arts Connection; Community Arts Education Partnerships Grant; Cultural Arts Literacy Initiative Project; and Destination Sistrunk.
Get involved with this visionary process through some of the links listed below: