Broward County, Florida
Skip navigation links
About Us
Arts Education
Events
Funding
Public Art
Resources
Media
Skip navigation links
Art Gallery
Art Walks
Arts Education
Arts Festivals
Arts Parks
Arts Services
Attractions
Dance
Friends
Funding Resources
Government Agencies
Historical Societies
Interdisplinary
Libraries
Literature
Media Arts
Museum Memberships
Museums
Music
National Register of Historic Places
Performing Arts
Recreation
Theater Seating Charts
Theaters and Theater Companies
Visual Arts
Cultural Directory Search
NEW RIVER INN
Registered May 1972
231 SW 2 Ave
Fort Lauderdale , FL 33301

Phone: 9544634431  
 

Fax: 9544634434    

Web Address: http://www.oldfortlauderdale.org

Contacts:
Joan Mikus, Executive Director


Purpose:
Built in 1905 to replace an earlier wooden structure, the New River Inn was the first property in Broward County to be placed on the National Register. The Inn was built by pioneer Ed King for owner Philemon Bryan of hollow concrete blocks made from beach sand. The Inn, known formerly as the New River Hotel, was strategically located next to the F.E.C. Railway Station on the north bank of New River and long served businessmen and vacationers alike. The hotel, built during Fort Lauderdale's pioneer era, originally contained a dining room, running ice water, indoor plumbing and was lighted by carbide lamps, the gas being generated in a small building still standing next to the next-door King Cromartie House.

Serving as a hotel only though 1955, the  building was also used for many years as City Hall Annex and was renovated in the 1970's. Later the home of the Discovery Center, the Inn today houses the Old Fort Lauderdale Museum of History, and is maintained by the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society.


Projects:
Home of the Old Fort Lauderdale Museum of History. Hours: Tuesday - Sunday 12 - 4 p.m.