share   tweet 311
Contractor/Tree Trimmer Complaints

Our authority is limited to initiating administrative disciplinary action against the license of a Broward County contractor who has violated a law, ordinance and/or the Florida Building Code. We have no authority to:

  • Make a contractor perform corrective work
  • Make a contractor pay damages
  • Impose the settlement of contract or other civil damages
These actions are the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts or the arbitration process.

Filing a Complaint

Complaint Form
Complaints against a contractor or tree trimmer who is licensed by Broward County must be submitted in writing.
Please provide details of the dispute and as many facts as possible. In addition, explain what you want the contractor to do to resolve your complaint. Attach copies of any documents that support your complaint, such as:

  • Contracts or purchase agreements
  • Cancelled checks
  • Municipal inspection/correction notices
  • Mechanic's lien statements
Because your signature on the complaint form must be notarized, you must submit your complaint by mail or in person.
Please mail your written complaint to:

Building Code Services Division

1 North University Dr. Box #302
Plantation, FL 33324l.

If your complaint involves workmanship issues, we cannot open a formal investigation unless:

  • The contractor has been cited by a local building code enforcement official for a violation of the Florida Building Code.
  • You have a report from a Florida-registered engineer certifying that a construction defect constitutes a violation of the Florida Building Code.

Florida law requires builders and remodelers to warrant their work for varying lengths of time; your contract may also contain a specific warranty for the work. If you have a complaint about a warranty issue which a builder or remodeler has not resolved, you can use the Consumer Complaint Form to file a general consumer complaint.
Contractors Licensed by the State of Florida

Address your complaints to:
Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
1940 N. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Contractor Restitution Fund

A homeowner who files a civil (legal) action against a Broward County licensed contractor and obtains a judgment based on the contractor's failure of performance is eligible to file a claim for compensation through Broward County's Contractor Restitution Trust Fund program. The term “failure of performance” includes:

  • A breach of the contract warranty
  • A fraudulent, deceptive or dishonest practice
  • A conversion of funds

The Contractor Restitution Trust Fund is administered by the Broward County Central Examining Boards.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


If you wish to appeal any decision made by the board, agency, or commission, as applicable, with respect to any matter considered at such meeting or hearing, you will need a record of the proceedings . You may thus need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.