share   tweet 311
Hazardous Materials
​​​We are here to assist you with your online applications in the following ways:
  • Apply or Renew Online 24 hours, 7 days a week (see Apply Online & Renew Online links below)
  • Get assistance by phone or email from your License Coordinator (under Contact Us below) during normal business hours (8:00am-4:30pm, Monday-Friday)
  • Get in-person assistance by appointment on Tuesday and Thursday mornings (8:00am-noon)
    1. To schedule an appointment, log into the QLess Home Kiosk and select Environmental: Ha​zardous Materials, or ​Contact your License Coordinator (under Contact Us below),, or call 954-519-1483.

The Environmental Permitting Division (EPD) regulates the use, storage, handling and disposal of Hazardo​us Materials. If a business uses, stores or handles 25 gallons or more of hazardous materials, the business requires a Hazardous Materials License. A hazardous material is defined as any substance or mixture of substances which meets any one (1) of the following criteria:​

  • Hazardous waste as defined or identified in 40 CFR parts 260—265 and appendices, promulgated pursuant to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, 42 U.S.C. § 9601, et seq., as amended, and rule 62-730, F.A.C., as amended.
  • Any substance listed in Chapter 27, Article XIII, Wellfield Protection, Appendix A, Broward County Code of Ordinances (once at Municipal Code Web Site, select Chapter 27 to show all Articles. Click on Article XIII).
  • Any petroleum product or any material or substance containing discarded petroleum products.
  • Any substance identified as hazardous (see Title III, Consolidated List of Chemicals) in the most current version of any of the following regulations:
  • Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) (42 U.S.C. § 9601, et seq.).
  • Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) (42 U.S.C. § 11001, et seq.).
  • Hazardous Material Transportation Act (49 U.S.C. § 1801, et seq.).
  • Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) (7 U.S.C. § 136(a)-(y)).

Anyone in the process of treating, storing, or disposing of hazardous waste in the State of Florida must have a permit from the State of Florida.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ A hazardous materials facility is any site or area, excluding vehicles used solely for transportation of people or property, where either of the following occurs: 

  • Any extremely hazardous substance in excess of the threshold planning quantity as defined by the most current version of the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (42 U.S.C.​ § 11001, et seq.)
  • ​Within a month period, an aggregate amount of 25 gallons or more of hazardous materials or an equivalent dry volume** of hazardous materials are stored, handled, generated, used, processed, manufactured, disposed or are otherwise present. ** For dry volume divide the units of pounds by 10.

  • If the operations handle 25 gallons or more of hazardous materials including aboveground storage tanks up to 550 gallons in size apply for a Hazardous Materials License.
  • If the operations handle hazardous materials in underground tanks larger than 110 gallons and/or aboveground tanks larger than 550 gallons apply for a Storage Tank License.
  • When modif​ying a storage tank system or its parts, apply for a Storage Tank Modification License. Any facility inside a Wellfield Zone requires a Hazardous Material​ Management Facility License.

For More information please contact Eduardo Koenig at 954-519-1406,, or Alfred Reid at 954-519-1432,

Hazardous Materials License

New operations using, handling or storing 25 gallons or more of hazardous materials require a license. F​ees are based on the type of operation and number of employees handling hazardous materials; Review the Fee Schedule for category and fee or call us at 954-519-1483.

You may Complete an Application or you may apply online through our epermits site:

Renew Hazardous Materials License

Renewal notices are sent by mail three (3) months and one (1) month before the license expires. The license can also be renewed online prior to expiration. Please be advised you will need the renewal notice with the provided pass​word in order to renew online.

Transferring a Hazardous Materials License to New Operator

If you sell your business, buyer and seller must sign an Application for Transfer through our ePermits website, or complete a hardcopy Application for Transfer and submit by mail. The transfer can be initiated by buyer or seller. In lieu of the prior owner completing and signing the application, the new owner can provide a copy of the first page and signature page of the Bill of Sale.

Address Change for the facility listed on Hazardous Materials License

Licenses are issued for the address specified on the initial application. If the operation moves to a new address, the business needs to complete: 1. A Closure Notification Form prior to initiating closure activities at the address being moved from; 2. An Application for Hazardous Material Management Facility License for the new location.

Operating Below the Threshold Affidavit 

If you determine your business currently operates at a level below the licensing threshold outside the ​Wellfield Zones 1 and 2 and no regulated substances are stored inside Wellfield Zones 1 or 2, the Operations Below The Threshold Affidavit must be completed and submitted. (Licensing thresholds are defined in the Hazardous Materials Fact Sheet.)​

Additional Information

Contact Us

If you have questions or need help with your hazardous materials license, contact us at the number assigned for your zip code or email us.

  • 33004-33029, BP (Automated Petroleum), Government (except Cities) - 954-519-1203
  • 33060-33063 & 33330-33442, 7-Eleven, AT&T (New Cingular Wireless) - 954-519-1225​
  • 33064-33076, CVS, FCE (First Coast Energy), School Board, Verizon – 954-519-1457​
  • 33311-33316, Cities, Tire Kingdom – 954-519-1269
  • 33301-33309 & 33317-33328, Sprint, Broward College​ – 954-519-1485​

Best Management Practices
Best Management Practices can be found on the Florida Department of Environmental Protection: Hazardous Waste Publications website.