The Broward County Community Action Agency assist low income individual and families through two federally funded programs, which include the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Community Service Block Grant (CSBG).
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP):
The LIHEAP program provides low-income families with financial assistance for electric bill payments. Eligibility is based on income and household size. The Broward County LIHEAP Program is for Broward County residents only. See the
LIHEAP Application to print out and complete.
Contact our Call Center at 954-357-5025 for directions to our nearest drop off site or call to set up an appointment at the Edgar P. Mills Multipurpose Center located at 900 NW 31st Avenue, Suite 3100, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311.
LOW INCOME HOME ENERGY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (LIHEAP) POVERTY INCOME GUIDELINES*
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2021
This Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is fully supported by the Administration For Children and Families of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services as part of an award totaling $6,529,004.
|For each additional person in the household with more than 8 people, add:||$6,810|
Online Application Requirements:
Due to technical difficulty, the online application portal is temporarily closed.
If your lights are off, please call 954-357-5025 for information about how you may submit an application or schedule an appointment.
To complete your online application, your documents can be scanned by using a desk scanner or by taking a picture of the documents with a phone or tablet. All scanned documents must be clear. Unclear scanned documents may cause a delay in your application process. Applications may be denied if the required documents are not received.
Scanned Documents Required:
- Valid Government issued Photo ID, for anyone 18 years of age and older, such as a State of Florida Broward County Driver’s License or Picture Identification.
- Proof of Permanent Resident Status for household members that are non-U.S. citizens.
- Social Security Cards for All Household Members.
- Birth Certificate for Children Age 5 or Younger.
- If you receive Section 8 or Public Housing, provide a copy of your Housing Contract and Lease Amendment or Notice of Rent Change which shows your name, address, and the effective date of your lease/amendment; and also a printout of your 50058 or 50059 from that shows your name and the amount of your Utility Allowance
- Valid FPL Bill.
Proof of all income received in the past 30 days for all Household Members, including but not limited to:
- Current Year Disability and/or SSI Benefits Statement.
- Current Senior Citizens Retirement Benefits Statement.
- Current Pay Stub (consecutive pay stubs for last 30 days of employment).
- Current Unemployment Wage Determination Statement.
- Current Pension Printout.
- Current Child Support Verification Printout.
- Current AFDC/TANF Verification Printouts.
- Current Veteran Benefits.
- Current Worker Compensation Benefits.
- Bank statements and W-2 tax forms will not be accepted.
If necessary, additional documents may be required upon review of your application to determine eligibility.
Application Processing Time:
Application submission does not guarantee approval for services. Due to increased volume of applications, please allow up to 15 business days for processing and do not submit an additional application to allow the first application to be processed.
Due to overwhelming responses, the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program’s processing time may take longer. Please continue paying your bill so that your services are not disconnected and make payment arrangements with Florida Power & Light, as needed.
After your application has been submitted, you will receive an application number as confirmation that you have successfully submitted your application.