share   tweet 311

Deerfield Beach Old School House

Deerfield Beach Elementary School

Built 1920, listed in the National Register of Historic Places 1999
323 N.E. Second Street, Deerfield Beach

Photo captions:

Deerfield Beach Old School, 1920s
Image Courtesy of the Broward County Historical Commission

Image of Deerfield Beach
Old School from 1926 Brochure
Image Courtesy of the Broward County Historical Commission

Deerfield Beach Old School, 1999
Image Courtesy of Bill Cunningham

The Deerfield Beach Old School House was designed by A. E. Lewis and built by Edgar S. Tubbs in a combination of Mission and Mediterranean Revival styles. It has two classrooms, stucco walls and a hip asphalt roof. The building has a “T” shaped footprint on a concrete slab foundation.

There was no electricity in the school in the 1920s, so there were no fans or heat source and, of course, no air conditioning. Large windows that lined three of the walls were installed to provide some relief from the intense summer heat. But if the temperatures dropped too low in the winter, school was canceled for the day. As early students remember, school supplies were provided by the county and consisted of pads of paper, pencils, inkwells and pens. Hours of operation were from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and a hand tolled bell located in front of the school started school each day.

During its time of use, the school was segregated. Black students would attend the Braithwaite School down the street. The school is Deerfield Beach’s oldest surviving school structure. Originally called Deerfield School, it is now referred to as The Deerfield Beach Old School House. In 1926, after the larger Deerfield Beach Elementary School was built, the school was used for Deerfield city government business. The polished wood floors of the school room have been restored, and the blackboard hangs in the original frame. The original glass windows are characterized by their 'wavy' glass. Light is provided by three bare bulbs on wires hanging from the ceiling. The City of Deerfield Beach rehabilitated both interior sections with new plaster and paint. The Deerfield Beach Historical Society and the City of Deerfield Beach use one section of the building for meetings. The other section of the building replicates a 1920s school classroom, which is often used for tours, lectures and historical events. For more information, call 954-429-0378.

​​