To publish data compilations
and reports and make recommendations to the County Commission about police use
of force, police misconduct, and such other matters pertaining to bias in the
criminal justice system.
To identify and report on
systemic issues related to policing and the criminal justice system. The Review
Board is not tasked with investigation of specific incidents of allege police
misconduct or misuse of force.
To develop best practices and
community standards for policing and criminal justice, including but not
limited to de-escalation tactics and techniques, use of force, and the
integration of mental health and crisis teams with law enforcement, that can be
submitted to the County Commission as possible recommendations to police and
criminal justice agencies.
Ordinance No. 2020-38, adopted October 20, 2020, establishing the Police and Criminal Justice Review Board.
Twenty-four (24) members appointed by the County Commission. Members must be residents of Broward County.
(1) Nine (9) members nominated by County Commissioners, with each County Commissioner nominating one (1) member;
(2) One (1) member nominated by the president of the Broward County Bar Association;
(3) One (1) member nominated by the president of the Broward County Hispanic Bar Association;
(4) One (1) member nominated by the president of the T.J. Reddick Bar Association;
(5) One (1) member nominated by the president of the Caribbean Bar Association;
(6) One (1) member nominated by the Broward County Public Defender;
(7) One (1) member nominated by the Broward County State Attorney;
(8) One (1) member nominated by the Broward County branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
(9) One (1) member of the clergy nominated by a clergy organization or organization(s) representing a broad range of denominations and faith groups;
(10) One (1) member nominated by New Florida Majority;
(11) One (1) member nominated by a Black Lives Matter group;
(12) One (1) member who must be a Florida-licensed mental health professional, nominated by the chief executive officer of the Broward Behavioral Health Coalition;
(13) One (1) member nominated by the Gay & Lesbian Community Center of Greater Fort Lauderdale, better known as the Pride Center at Equality Park;
(14) One (1) member nominated by the Broward Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union ("ACLU");
(15) One (1) member who must be sworn law enforcement officer of municipal police agency, nominated by the Broward County Chiefs of Police Association; and
(16) One (1) member nominated by the Sheriff of Broward County.
(1) The term for each member nominated by a County Commissioner is four (4) years.
(2) The term for all other members is two (2) years.
A majority of the total appointed board members.
Scott Andron, Assistant County Attorney
Suzanne Bundy, Human Services Administrator
Equity and Community Investment Section
Anna S. Gibbs
Financial Disclosure not required.