Saturday, November 16, 10AM-4:30PM
Southwest Regional Library, 16835 Sheridan Street, Pembroke Pines, FL 33331
The 18th Annual StoryBook Festival focuses on visual literacy, graphic novels, comic books, hybrid books, anime, manga and cartoons to develop thinking skills, comprehension and promote literacy among young, reluctant and dyslexic readers.
Special Guest: Drew Brockington, author and illustrator of the CatStronauts series.
Children are encouraged to come to the festival in costume, and join the Storybook Parade. There will be a full day of storytelling, storybook characters and children’s performances on four stages. Featured events will include:
- Storytellers: Mij Byram & Windell Campbell
- Entertainers: Marci Poppins, Bucky & Gigi Show, Juggling
- Fantasy Forest: Follow a path through the enchanted forest and meet storybook characters including Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, Rumpelstiltskin and more
- Costumed Characters: Llama Llama, Elephant and Piggie, Pikachu, Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Arts & Craft Tent: Sponsored by the City of Pembroke Pines Parks and Recreation
- Local Authors Tent: Meet local authors
- Virtual Reality Demos: Experience the effects of virtual/augmented reality
- Fire Truck: Meet fire fighters, tour truck provided by the City of Pembroke Pines Fire Rescue
Children will interact with their favorite storybook characters in the Fantasy Forest, and enjoy the “Swappin’ Ground” area where they hear stories and tell their own. Food trucks will be on site, selling tasty treats all day. Children can get their face painted for free, and parents can bring cameras to take photos at the “official” Storybook Photo Spots.
The first 1,000 children arriving to the festival will receive a free book.
The StoryBook Festival is funded through the Broward Public Library Foundation with support from the City of Pembroke Pines. It is sponsored by the Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital, the Children's Services Council of Broward County and the Friends of Southwest Regional Library and Broward Family Life magazine.