Welcome to Broward County Library
This Customer Code of Conduct encourages behavior that supports the Library's mission to provide the best possible resources in a positive environment. Any person who violates this Code or engages in any activity prohibited by law will be asked to leave the Library property and could be subject to suspension for a period of 14 days, 90 days, or a minimum of one year. Those refusing to leave will be subject to arrest under Trespass Laws, Chapter 810, Florida Statutes.
The Library is a public building where the well-being and safety of unattended children is a serious concern. Therefore, Library staff cannot assume the responsibility for the care or supervision of unattended children left in or on the grounds of the library.
All library users accessing services in person are required to observe these rules of conduct. Behavior, including but not limited to the following, is unacceptable and prohibited.
- Abusive, boisterous, disruptive, or loud language or behavior.
- Adults not requiring immediate access to youth materials shall be required to relocate to other areas of the library. Youth Services areas are intended for use by youth and their parents or caregivers.
- Bringing animals, except service animals, into the library.
- Bringing personal items into the library that will not fit comfortably under one chair or leaving items unattended. Items may not obstruct aisles and walkways, or the entry and exits to the library.
- Customers may not operate electronic devices in a manner that is audible to others.
- Creating a nuisance to customers or staff through offensive bodily hygiene.
- Eating or drinking, except in authorized areas. Containers must have lids.
- Entering and using the library without appropriate attire, including a shirt and shoes.
- Entering non-public areas such as staff workrooms, offices, or other designated areas.
- Inappropriate use of equipment or furniture.
- Leaving persons unattended who require personal assistance.
- Sleeping, smoking or use of electronic cigarettes.
- Inappropriate use of library restroom facilities, bringing materials into the restrooms, bathing, loitering.
- Use of bicycles, skates, skateboards, or items of a similar nature on library premises.
- Use of library facilities or equipment for other than library purposes.
- Use of photographic, sound recording, video or other recording devices/equipment, on library property without prior authorization.
Any illegal activities or incidents that occur on Library property as detailed below will be reported to local law enforcement and may result in a minimum suspension of one (1) year from all Broward County library locations.
- Obscene (sexual misconduct), harassing or threatening language, behavior, or physical violence
- Defacing, destroying, vandalizing, or stealing library property or materials.
- Inappropriate use of library technology, including, but not limited to: using the Internet for illegal purposes, or displaying, sending, or printing obscene materials; or damaging, altering, or tampering with equipment or software; or the intentional downloading of damaging malicious software.
Suspensions may be appealed in writing to the Director of the Libraries Division within 10 days of issuance. Failing to file within the 10 day period is a waiver of your right to appeal.