Meeting Rooms in Broward County Libraries
Publicly Available Spaces Procedure
Availability: The publicly available spaces are primarily for the use of the Library and programs/events related to its services. The Library provides space in its facilities whenever possible under the following conditions:
Priority: The second priority is Library or Friends co-sponsored events, third priority are events sponsored by nonprofit groups, fourth priority is events provided by for-profit entities and private individuals.
No Endorsement: The use of library public spaces does not imply Library endorsement of the aims, policies, or activities of any group. The Library will not advertise functions sponsored by private organizations. Any publicity not sponsored or co-sponsored by the Library must include the statement, “This event is not sponsored by the Broward County Libraries Division." The Broward County logo cannot be used unless permission is granted.
No Discrimination: The use of library public spaces will not be permitted by any individual, group or organization which discriminates in its attendance at any event held at the library on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or political affiliation.
Continuous Use Prohibited: Because of demand, BCL is not able to provide regular meeting space to any one organization. To avoid monopolization when demand is great, any one groups' use of space may be limited to no more than twelve times in one calendar year, based on availability.
No Use Guarantee: BCL, in its sole discretion, will determine the number of events to be operated simultaneously in its facilities and does not guarantee sole use of any facility. Additionally, BCL does not guarantee the use of reserved library meeting room space in the event of unforeseen circumstances requiring the closure of a library facility to ensure the public's safety. If time and resources allow, events will be moved to alternate locations and any fees paid for the use of library meeting space may be refunded in accordance with County policies.
Application Procedure for Use of Facilities
- Application: The applicant completes the Application for Auditorium and Meeting Room Use Form provided by the library location involved, and submits it to the Library Specialist Supervisor or location manager, who either grants or denies the application in accordance with the Publicly Available Spaces section. In the event that a denial is challenged, the procedure set forth below follows.
- Denial of Application and Appeal: The library manager/designee meets with a representative of any group, which challenges that Library's refusal to allow the event. If the group is not satisfied, the library manager/designee consults with the Library Director.
- Insurance: As determined by the Risk Management Division, prior to confirmation of use of the facility, proof of insurance may be required naming Broward County Government as an additional insured prior to event approval. No more than 12 weeks in advance except for Main Library Theatre, AARLCC Theatre and Dance Studio which may be booked no more than six (6) months in advance. The purpose of this requirement is to provide adequate coverage for the protection of the County and its property resulting from the use of library facilities. This includes indoor, outdoor & theatre usage.
- Indemnification and Waivers: All groups and organizations must execute the Waiver Liability and Indemnification forms (with the exception of government entities) at the time of application. These forms are provided by the library location involved.
Rules governing the use of library facilities include the Customer Code of Conduct as well as the following:
- Alcohol: Alcohol may be served for special events after hours in any library location. In the Main Library, alcohol may be served during business hours but only on the 6th floor (Bienes Center or Gallery 6) or 8th floor, for “invitation only" events. In the AARLCC, alcohol may be served during business hours but only for pre-approved “invitation only" events. Alcohol may not be sold nor donations solicited without the appropriate licenses. Alcohol may only be served by approved vendors with a liquor license and liquor liability insurance.
- Available Hours: If staff coverage of the building can be provided, there are no restrictions. Otherwise, meetings shall be held during library hours and shall be concluded in adequate time to vacate the building by closing time.
- Catering: Catering may be arranged by organizations using or renting meeting rooms in Library locations. The catering certificate of insurance must be reviewed and approved by Risk Management. See the Insurance and Indemnification sections of Application Procedure for Use of Facilities for insurance requirements.
- Damage Deposit: Meeting room users are responsible for leaving the room in the condition it was found. A deposit (check made out to the Broward County Board of County Commissioners) is required to cover the cost of equipment/room/furniture/clean-up/damage to restore the facility to its original state. The Check is due the day of the event and is returned after inspection of the room if there is no damage and/or maintenance and cleaning required. The amount of any such deposit is specified in the County's current
Charges schedule in the Administrative Code of Broward County, Vol.II, Ch. 37, Part II.
- Deposit Refund: A complete or partial refund of the deposit will depend upon the extent of equipment damage and/or the maintenance and cleaning required. Damages shall not be limited to the amount of the deposit. Should the cost of the damages exceed the deposit, the group will be billed the additional amount. Abuse of this privilege will result in denial of future use of library facilities.
- Film Permits: Any commercial film, video or still photo shoots that are conducted on public property such as on roads and streets, sidewalks, or in parks, beaches or public buildings require a film permit issued by the Broward County/Greater Fort Lauderdale Office of Film & Entertainment. A film permit is not required for individuals filming or videotaping solely for their own personal or private use or for employees of print or electronic news media when filming on-going news events. Some municipalities and towns have their own special events permitting process.
Permits are free. There is a minimum of 24-48 hour notice for permits. More time may be needed depending on the complexity of the project. Other requirements include a certificate of insurance specifically insuring Broward County or the appropriate municipality for $1 million of liability; specific information on locations, dates and times; budget and accommodations information; police coverage; special situations such as pyrotechnics, stunts or animal wranglers; and any other special arrangements. The permit covers the interior of the building and/or the grounds the County maintains.
The application for a film permit may be completed online at
sunny.org/film. For answers to questions and any other information pertaining to film permitting call 954-767-2467.
- Furniture and Equipment: Groups desiring special chair/table arrangements or equipment should make this request known when the room is reserved, or no later than one week prior to the meeting. Requests will be accommodated within the limits of furniture, equipment (see
Admin Code 37.11 for applicable fees) and staff availability.
- Refreshments: Refreshments (i.e. commercially prepared and/or prepackaged cookies, cakes, pies, etc.) are permitted in designated meeting rooms (if facilities are available), except that eating and drinking are not permitted in the Main Library and African-American Research Library theatres.