Nina MacPherson | New FAC Board Member
North Perry Airport (HWO) Manager, Nina MacPherson, was elected to the Board of Directors of the Florida Airports Council (FAC). Nina will represent General Aviation on the FAC Board and the Broward County Aviation Department as well as the other GA airports in Florida.
FAC is an association of publicly-owned and operated airports, airport professionals, and experts in the fields of airport design, development, and improvement. Members also include aviation trades that support the airport industry in Florida.
North Perry Airport is a general aviation facility devoted exclusively to private and business light-plane activity. Concessionaires offer fuel, service, air charter, flight instruction, aircraft sales, maintenance, storage, and other services for the flying public. In fiscal 2021, there were 195,192 aircraft operations at the airport versus 230,189 in FY2020.
Since its inception in the 1940s, the airport has grown to encompass 148 T-hangars, four fixed-base operators, and an Air Traffic Control Tower. Today, HWO accounts for 1,163 direct and indirect jobs and generates total business sales of approximately $119.1 million, the results of a
Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Economic Impact Study show.
For 21 straight years, HWO has achieved “zero discrepancies” in annual airport inspections from the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT). This inspection typically includes a review of all airfield markings, airfield signs, runway/taxiway lights, safety areas, aircraft approach slopes, wildlife control, and Foreign Object Debris.&
North Perry Airport (HWO) received the FAA Southern Region’s 2010 Runway Safety Award. The FAA chose HWO over hundreds of airports in the Southern region for runway safety initiatives completed this past year.
In 2009, North Perry Airport experienced an unusually high amount of runway incursions. While the incidents were not the fault of the airport, the staff decided more proactive measures might reduce aircraft incidents. During 2010, professionals from Airport Operations, Maintenance, and Development devised a plan to help eliminate the problem. The plan included:
•Additional new airfield signs.
•Tighter access controls for visitors.
•Extensive and ongoing training programs for airport users.
•Outreach to student pilots and flight schools.
•Converting the airfield signage and markings to commercial airport standards.
These are the same standards used at Fort Lauderdale - Hollywood International Airport
As a result of the team’s hard work and attention to detail, the efforts paid off. In 2010, there were no runway incursions reported.
FAA Letter (PDF).
North Perry Named General Aviation Airport of the Year by Florida Department of Transportation
Every year the Florida Department of Transportation is proud to recognize superior achievement by presenting an award for the General Aviation Airport of the Year.
William J. Ashbaker, State Aviation Manager, FDOT, presented the General Aviation Airport of the Year Award 2008 to Nina MacPherson, C.M., Airport Manager of North Perry Airport, Broward County Aviation Department at the annual conference of the Florida Airport Council. Eligible nominees for this award must be a public-use, general aviation airport within Florida.
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) conducted its annual inspection of the Airport on May 9th, 2007. David Roberts, Airport Inspection and Safety Manager, FDOT, was happy to report that the Airport had Zero Discrepancies and No Recommendations. In addition, he complimented how excellent the airport was maintained and recommended utilizing North Perry as a training tool and an example for new FDOT inspectors.
North Perry Airport was featured on the cover of the 2008 Florida Airport Directory and Florida Aeronautical Charts issued by the FDOT.
This award is a reflection of the hard work and dedication of the staff at North Perry Airport and all the departments at BCAD who support the North Perry Airport on a daily basis.
North Perry was constructed by the U.S. Navy in 1943 for use as a satellite training field in connection with flight training activities at Miami Naval Air Station. After the war, it was inactive until October 11, 1957 when Broward County acquired it.