share   tweet 311

Open Enrollment

Broward CountyOpen EnrollmentHealth Reimbursement Account (HRA)

What is a Health Reimbursement Account?

​​A Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) 

is an account funded by Broward County, for employees enrolled in one of the High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP or HDHP OON) that cannot enroll in the Health Savings Account (HSA) due to IRS regulation or elected to keep the HRA due to an existing balance that they didn't want to be frozen. 

This account is only funded by Broward County if you and your enrolled spouse or domestic partner complete the annual Engagement Incentive. No additional deposits can be made to this account. You can use the funds to pay for eligible out-of-pocket health care expenses for you, your spouse, and your eligible tax dependents. Eligible expenses include medical copays (for CDH), coinsurance, deductibles, prescriptions, and dental and vision expenses. Only expenses for medical or prescription apply to deductibles.

Contact Information

PayFlex Systems USA, Inc.
Member Services: 800-284-4885​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​The Benefits of an HRA include:

  • Tax-free money — You get to use tax-free, employer-provided dollars to pay for your health care expenses.
  • Works with an FSA — You can have both a health care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and an HRA at the same time. This means more ways to save money! Expenses will be paid out of FSA first, HRA second.
  • Accounts — The balance in your HRA rolls over from year to year as long as you remain enrolled in the HRA for consecutive years. The maximum account balance or rollover cap for the HRA is $20,000, regardless of the tier of coverage.
  • Savings for retirement – Your balances are transferred to a Retirement Health Savings Account at ICMA upon retirement or separation from County employment.

Coordination of Benefits:

If you have an HRA and a Health Care FSA, your eligible expenses will be paid from your Health Care FSA first.  Once you use your Health Care FSA funds, your eligible expenses will be paid from your HRA.