Frequently Asked Questions

​​​Zoning Certificate of Use​

​Does my business need a Certificate of Use (CU)?

  • Yes, if your business is located in unincorporated Broward County you are required to obtain a CU from Broward County. If your business is located in a city, you are required to obtain a CU from the city.

​How do I know if my business is located in unincorporated Broward County?

How much does a Certificate of Use cost?

  • Depending on the type of business, the fee ranges from $265 to $425. It is a one-time fee for the business, unless there is a change of ownership, occupant, or name change. 
  • Fees must be paid in person, except for home office renewals which may be mailed. Payments may be made by credit card, check, or cash.

What is required to obtain a Certificate of Use?

  • An application for a CU must be completed and submitted to the Urban Planning Division/ Attention: Zoning Section. The application must be notarized and accompanied with the necessary fee. The application may be completed, submitted, and processed within approximately 30 minutes at the Broward County Government Center West, 1 North University Drive, #​​​102, Plantation, FL 33324.
  • Prior to CU issuance, the business location will be inspected by the Zoning Section, Building Inspectors, and Fire Inspectors to assure the business will be operating in accordance to all codes and regulations.  The inspections may be scheduled to occur within 2-3 days. Once all inspections have passed a CU will be issued.

Do I need building plans and a building permit to obtain a Certificate of Use?

  • If there is a change in the type of business that was previously there and if there are any changes or improvements being made to the premises, building plans and a permit may be required for issuance of a CU. Please contact the Zoning Section at 954-357-6644 prior to submitting an application, in order to determine if building plans are required.

Do I need a Certificate of Use if I have a Local Business Tax Receipt?

  • Yes, a CU if required. A Local Business Tax Receipt does not guarantee that your business is operating in compliance with Broward County Zoning and other regulations and is required prior to the operation of any business. 

How do I obtain a Rental Registration Certificate?