share   tweet 311
Foreign Judgments

​​​Requirements: (Section 55.501-55-509 FS)

  1. A certified or exemplified copy of the judgment.
  2. An original, notarized affidavit of last known address for
    • Debtor(s)
    • Creditor(s) named in the judgment, and
    • The creditor's attorney, if one IN FLORIDA.
  1. A self-addressed, stamped envelope for return of the recorded documents.
  2. A check payable to “Board of County Commissioners” for the following fees:


Fees for all Foreign Judgments:
Recording Judgment (CJF) $10 First page, plus $8.50 each additional page
Indexing additional names in CJF $1 Per name if overfour names
Recording affidavit $10 First page, plus $8.50 each additional page
Copy of affidavit to debtor $1 $1 per page per debtor name and address
Indexing additional names in affidavit $1 Per name over four names
Notice of Recording preparation fee $7 Per debtor address (i.e 1 debtor name with two addresses =two Notices Multiple debtors /same address =one notice per debtor
Notice of Recording certified or registered mail fee 7.33​
Current rate per debtors address
or actual cost if outside the USA per debtor address


The check is held by us pending the end of the 30-day period described in item 4, below.

Records Search / Notice of Objection $2 Per debtor name
Preparation of Certificate re objection $7 Flat Fee​​
Recording Certificate re objection $10 Flat Fee
Indexing additional names in Certificate $1 Per name overfour names

What Records, Taxes and Treasury does (for both out-of-state and out-of-country judgments):

  1. Records the judgment and affidavit.
  2. Mails notices of the recording of the foreign judgment, by certified mail with return receipt requested, to the judgment debtors at the mailing addresses given in the Affidavit.
    Our office does not provide proof of mailing. The judgment creditor may mail notice of recording of the judgment debtors and may record proof of mailing.
  3. Returns the original recordings to you, along with a signed and sealed Notice of Recording. These documents must be retained by you in order to file with the Clerk of the Court and obtain a domestic case number. The clerk will not assign a Broward County case number until 30 days have elapsed from the date of recording.
  4. This item pertains to OUT-OF-COUNTRY foreign judgments ONLY. In the case of out-of-country foreign judgments, the judgment debtor has 30 days after service of the Notice of Recording to record a Notice of Objection. At the end of the 30 days, County Records:
  • searches the Official Records to determine whether an objection has been recorded;
  • prepares a certificate as to the results of that search;
  • records the certificate; and
  • mail the recorded certificate to the party who presented the foreign judgment for recording. This certificate will be required by the Clerk of Courts to obtain a Broward County case number.

Any questions, please contact our office at (954) 357-7270 or mail to:

Broward County Governmental Center
Records, Taxes and Treasury, Room 114
Attn: Specialty Desk
115 S. Andrews Ave.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Please contact the Clerk of the Court for information on case filing at:

Broward County Courthouse
Room 230
201 S.E. 6th Street
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301