In accordance with Florida statutes, a permit is required to conduct a Fire or Going-Out-Of-Business Sale. The permit must be obtained when a business acts in such a manner as to reasonably cause the public to believe that upon disposal of the stock of goods, they will cease operation.
The permit is issued for a period of not more than 60 consecutive days, including weekends and holidays, and cannot be renewed. Permits are neither transferable nor refundable. For each location, you will need:
- A completed Application for Out of Business/Fire Sale permit
- A full inventory of the goods, wares, merchandise and the dollar value of the items to be offered for the sale
- A fee of $50.00, cash or certified funds only
- Verification that all Real Estate and Personal Property taxes are paid
- A copy of advertisements used in the media which include the necessary verbiage
- Surrender of any applicable City Occupational License and County Occupational license
You can download an Application For Out Of Business/Fire Sale Permit online, or pick one up at:
Broward County Records, Taxes and Treasury Division
Governmental Center Annex, 1st Floor
115 S. Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301
For more information, call 954-468-3488.