The Broward County Commission voted to establish
a County Courthouse Task Force in December 2009, and charged it with developing a plan to either refurbish the existing courthouse or build a new one. Members were appointed by then-Mayor Stacy Ritter in January 2009. The first meeting was held January 23, 2009. A new courthouse was ultimately built, and opened in 2017.
Members of the original Courthouse Task Force included:
- Margaret Bates - Broward League of Cities
- Scott Chitoff - Zumba International, Chief Counsel
- Greg Durden - Greg Durden, P.A.
- Howard Finkelstein - Chief Public Defender, 17th Judicial Circuit, Broward County
- Catherine Keuthan – Public Defender’s Office
- Jeff Marcus - State Attorney's Office
- Jeffrey Ostrow - Kopelowitz Ostrow (KO)
- Eugene Pettis - Haliczer Pettis and Schwamm
- Tim Ryan - Broward County Commission, Task Force Chair
- John P. "Jack" Seiler - Law Offices of Seiler, Sautter, Zaden, Rimes & Weihe
- Peter Weinstein - Chief Judge, 17th Judicial Circuit, Broward County