Statement of Responsibilities Regarding Asbestos
If you are planning to demolish or renovate any existing structure, you must complete a Statement of Responsibilities Regarding Asbestos (SRRA) to determine if you are subject to Federal and County rules relating to the demolition and handling of asbestos containing material. (Broward County Asbestos Helpline 954-519-0340)
If your project is for a residential building with 4 or fewer dwelling units (not for commercial purpose), you are exempt from Federal and County rules relating to asbestos, other than the on-line submittal of the
Statement of Responsibilities Regarding Asbestos. Please note: if exempt, there are no fees associated with the SRRA. However, you must still submit a SRRA to obtain a Certificate of Submittal necessary for your building permit application.
IF any of the following proposed facility and activity are true:
- Commercial, industrial, or public building
- Any residential building with more than four (4) dwelling units
- Two or more residential buildings at the same site
- Any residential property being demolished for commercial purposes or by government order
- School / College / University
- Unsafe Structure
- Built-up roofing or asbestos roofing felt removal greater than 160 square ft.
- Exterior renovation (stucco/finishes) greater than 160 square ft.
- Interior renovation (i.e. floor covering, dry walls, ceilings, floor/wall mastic) greater than 160 sq ft.
- Total or partial demolition of a load bearing structure.
THEN you may be responsible for the completion of one or more following Documents or Actions:
- Asbestos Survey Report prepared by a Florida Licensed Asbestos Consultant and uploaded into
ePermitting system (in accordance with Broward County Code Chapter 27, Section 180)
- Demolition Plans (uploaded into
- Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation ten (10) working days prior to the start of the project (using
electronic Notice of Demolition or Asbestos Renovation or DEP form 62-257.900(1)), and payment of any applicable fee(s) per fee schedule (web-payment link will be emailed to customer after submission of documents into
- Demolition refers to wrecking or taking out of any load supporting structural member of a facility together with any related handling operations.
- Renovation refers to altering a facility or one or more facility components in any way, including the stripping or removal of Regulated Asbestos Containing Materials (RACM) from a facility component.
- All residential buildings with four (4) or fewer dwelling units, Public Schools/Colleges/Universities and Broward County owned properties are required to submit the SRRA, however, these projects are exempt from paying the $50.00 SRRA review fee.
- All other Demolition and/or Renovation projects in Broward County are required to pay the $50.00 SRRA review fee.
- According to the Florida Building Code – Broward County Amendments, a homeowner may move, remove or dispose of asbestos-containing materials on a residential building with four or fewer dwelling units in which they reside if they personally appear and sign the building permit application. A homeowner may not hire an unlicensed person as his/her contractor. The work must be done according to all local, state and federal laws and regulations that apply to asbestos abatement projects. It is the homeowner’s responsibility to make sure that people he/she employs have licenses required by state, county or city laws.
- For demolition or renovation projects not otherwise subject to the federal or local asbestos regulations, the owner or operator shall take reasonable precautions to prevent the release of unconfined emissions of particulate matter.
We value your feedback as a customer. You can comment on the quality of service you received using the ePermitsOneStop website by
completing our survey.