- Purchase Energy Star Appliances – Look for Energy Star rated products in more than 40 categories, including TVs, refrigerators, dishwashers, and air conditioners. Save hundreds of lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs or LEDs.
Note: please recycle your used incandescent, CFL, or LED bulbs. These items should NOT be discarded in your curbside waste or recycling bins. Instead take these used items to local recycling centers.
- Use Less Hot Water, Wash Only Full Loads in Your Washing Machine & Take Shorter Showers - The water heater is a large user of energy in most homes and 90% of the energy used to wash clothes is from heating the water. Save over 100 lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Adjust your Thermostat – Cool your home at 78 degrees or warmer with the thermostat fan set to “auto”. Raise the temperature to 82 degrees or warmer when you’re away from home. Save 2,000 lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Clean Air Conditioning Filters – Clean your A/C filters monthly to save energy and money on cooling costs. Save 350 lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Unplug Unused Electronics – When electronic devises are turned off but still plugged in, they continue to use energy. Save over 1,000 lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Limit the Time You Run Your Pool Pump – In summer, no more than 6 hours a day. In winter, no more than 4 hours a day. Save hundreds of lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Avoid Using Multiple Refrigerators - If you have an extra refrigerator that is not kept full or is hardly used, turn it off or get rid of it. Save hundreds of lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Reduce Garbage - Buy products with less packaging and recycle paper, plastic and glass. Save 1,000 lbs. of CO 2 per year.
- Plant Native Drought Resistant Plants – Xeriscape is quality landscaping that conserves water and protects the environment. Trees intake carbon dioxide and make clean air for us to breathe. Visit Naturescape Broward for more information.
On The Road
- Inflate Your Tires - Keep the tires on your car properly inflated and check the tires monthly.
- Change Your Car's Air Filter - Check your car's air filter monthly and change it when needed.
- Give Your Car a Break - Leave your car at home. Walk, bike, carpool, or use mass transit.
- Report Smoking Vehicles - Call 954-519-1499 or visit the Smoking Vehicles page.
- Drive a Fuel-Efficient Vehicle or Alternative Fuel Vehicle - Getting a few extra miles per gallon makes a big difference. Save thousands of lbs. of CO 2 and a lot of money per year.
In The Office or School
- Use Recycled Paper & Print on Both Sides - Be sure to purchase 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
- Shut Down Computers at Night - Shut down or turn off computers, monitors, printers, and speakers each night.
- Use Power Strips - Plug all electronics into power strips and turn them off each night to save more energy.
- Program Copy Machines - Have them enter sleep and shut-down modes after a selected time.
- Purchase Green Products - Including Energy Star rated electronics & vending machines, green cleaners, and fuel efficient vehicles.
- Subscribe to Receive Environmental Character Education Newsletters - Email AirOutreach@broward.org to be added to our email distribution list.
- Receive an Energy Audit - An Energy Audit will identify cost-beneficial improvements for your facility.
- Conserve Water - Check all faucets, water fountains, toilets, and urinals for any water left flowing.
- Apply For an Emerald Award - Get recognized for outstanding environmentally responsible practices with the Emerald Awards.
- Plant Native Drought Resistant Plants – Xeriscape is quality landscaping that conserves water and protects the environment. Trees intake carbon dioxide and make clean air for us to breathe.