One of BCT's most valuable programs is our Paratransit (TOPS), also known as TOPS - Transportation Options, recipient of the Community Transportation Association of America's (CTAA) 2008 'Urban Community Transportation System of the Year' award.
Hours of Operation
Paratransit (TOPS) service is available during BCT's fixed-route service time, which is from early a.m. until late p.m.
Paratransit (TOPS) hours are 6:45 am - 10:15 pm on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Standing orders are automatically cancelled on these holidays. Riders who need service must make a trip reservation with provider.
Download Wheelchair and Scooter Guide (PDF)
ADA Eligibility Criteria and ADA Paratransit Application
READ THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO DOWNLOADING APPLICATION: Applicants seeking ADA Paratransit (TOPS) are strongly encouraged to contact Customer Service at 954-357-8400 to discuss the eligibilty criteria and other transportation options available through the TOPS program. Disability alone does not confirm eligibility for ADA Paratransit (TOPS). An in-person functional assessment is required, in most cases, to complete the eligibility process.
Download ADA Paratransit Application Form and Guidelines (PDF)
Transportation Disadvantaged (TD) Eligibility Criteria and TD Application
READ THIS NOTICE PRIOR TO DOWNLOADING APPLICATION: Applicants seeking TOPS! TD transportation services are encouraged to contact Customer Service at 954-357-8400 to discuss the eligibilty criteria and other transportation options available through the TOPS! program. TD eligibility is primarily determined by income compliance with the current Federal Povery Guidelines at the 100% level. Household income verification required.
Download TD Paratransit / Bus Pass Application (PDF)
TOPS! Rider's Guide (PDF)
Guía del Pasajero de Paratransit TOPS! (PDF)
To make a reservation:
Reservations may be made by contacting the TOPS! Call Center at 1-866-682-2258 one (1) to three (3) days in advance between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Reservations may also be made 24 hours a day 7 days a week online at: My Tops Trips
When reserving your ride you must have:
- Your assigned Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- First and last name
- Telephone number
- Date of travel
- Requested appointment time (you will then be given a pickup time)
- The complete pick-up address
- The complete destination address
- Whether you will be accompanied by a personal care attendant (PCA) and/or companion
Estimated travel time of a TOPS trip is similar to the same trip, including transfers, if made by a fixed route bus or approximately twice the time of a direct trip.
Keep in mind when using TOPS
A standing order, also known as a "fixed" or "subscription" schedule is used for trips that are made regularly from the same place, to the same location, at the same time, on the same day(s) of the week e.g. work, beauty shop, dialysis, physical therapy. Subscription trips are placed for a minimum of one month.
- Paratransit does not provide wheelchairs.
- Paratransit does not provide emergency or stretcher transportation service.
- To cancel a ride, call the assigned provider at least two hours before the scheduled pickup time.
- Riders must cancel individual subscription trips that are no longer needed.
- Permanent changes to a subscription schedule should be made at least one week in advance.
Riding TOPS Paratransit - TOPS Vehicles
All TOPS vehicles display a TOPS sign. TOPS providers have a wide variety of vehicles including cars, lift-equipped vans and wheelchair accessible vehicles. Since there are several different Providers in the TOPS program, make sure that the vehicle is for you and not another rider.
The one-way fare per trip is $3.50. Fares must be paid to the driver upon boarding the vehicle. Passengers must have the exact fare since drivers do not make change. Riders going to and from designated nutrition sites ride free. If you are picked up fifteen minutes after the end of your 30-minute pickup window, your ride is free.
TOPS Travel Rules and Regulation
If the vehicle has not arrived within the scheduled 30-minute pickup window, call the transportation provider.
- Drivers allow a five-minute wait for a rider after arriving at the pickup location. You will be considered a "no-show" if you are not ready to board at that time.
- Passengers should sign the rider log upon entering the vehicle.
- Passengers will not be escorted beyond the front door of any residence or public building.
- Children younger than four years old must be transported in an appropriate child safety seat.
- TOPS does not provide child safety seats.
- ADA eligible riders and companions, including children, must pay the one way fare.
- Service animals ride at no additional charge but must be properly controlled. Animals, other than service animals, may travel but must be in a properly secured cage or travel container.
Paratransit has developed a free program to help clients use the Fixed Route bus service. A professional instructor provides personal and group lessons at no charge to teach riders how to use county buses. Paratransit eligible riders can learn to travel the fixed route bus service by calling 954.357.7705.
Free Use of Fixed-Route Service
Any registered Paratransit rider with current eligibility may use the fixed-route service free of charge. The use of the fixed-route benefit will not impact Paratransit eligibility. For information on this program please call customer service Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.:
- Toll-free Access 1.800.599.5432
- Hearing-speech impaired/TTY 954.357.8330 (teletype machine required)
- FAX 954.978.0795
Paratransit Services Speakers' Bureau
Paratransit Services Professional Speaker's Bureau is specifically designed to reach out to social service agencies and the general public. The sole purpose of the Speakers' Bureau is to provide vital information about transportation services in Broward County, particularly paratransit services.
Speakers are available to discuss Broward County's paratransit system including service provisions, application and evaluation procedures, functional assessments, eligibility classifications, travel rules and regulations, and travel training.
All speakers come from the team of professionals in the Office of Transportation's Paratransit Services Section and are available to speak at social service organizations, community groups, professional groups, schools, churches, and the workplace. The service is free to all organizations. Please e-mail us at email@example.com with the requested information below and a paratransit professional will communicate with you promptly.
3. Name of organization
4. Address/City/Zip Code
5. Phone number
6. Fax number
7. E-mail address
8. URL address (optional)
9. Brief description of organization
Click on Special Needs for details on evacuation transportation of Paratransit eligible riders in the event of a hurricane.
Required Plug-ins: Adobe' Reader'