Contractor/Tree Trimmer Complaints


Please select the following link​ for updates and to follow Broward County's Office of Economic & Small Business Development (OESBD) social media handles.​​


Learn how to access our services from home without travelling to our office.

Access the Building Code Division's Application and Forms page or send us an email to

Our authority is limited to initiating administrative disciplinary action against the license of a Broward County contractor who has violated a law, ordinance and/or the Florida Building Code. We have no authority to:

  • Make a contractor perform corrective work
  • Make a contractor pay damages
  • Impose the settlement of contract or other civil damages​
These actions are the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts or the arbitration process. Please click here for a list for Economic Crimes Division telephone numbers.

Filing a Complaint

Complaint Form​​​​​
Complaints against a contractor or tree trimmer who is unlicensed by Broward County must be submitted in writing.
Please provide details of the dispute and as many facts as possible. In addition, explain what you want the contractor to do to resolve your complaint. Attach copies of any documents that support your complaint, such as:

  • Contracts or purchase agreements
  • Cancelled checks
  • Municipal inspection/correction notices
  • Mechanic's lien statements

Please email us at if you have questions or concerns related to unlicensed contractor activity in Broward County.  Or, use the below QR Code to submit a complaint online.

If your complaint involves workmanship issues, we cannot open a formal investigation unless:

  • The contractor has been cited by a local building code enforcement official for a violation of the Florida Building Code.
  • You have a report from a Florida-registered engineer certifying that a construction defect constitutes a violation of the Florida Building Code.

Florida law requires builders and remodelers to warrant their work for varying lengths of time; your contract may also contain a specific warranty for the work. 

Contractors Licensed by the State of Florida

Address your complaints to:
Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
1940 N. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL 32399
Contractor Restitution Fund

A homeowner who files a civil (legal) action against a Broward County licensed contractor and obtains a judgment based on the contractor's failure of performance is eligible to file a claim for compensation through Broward County's Contractor Restitution Trust Fund program. The term “failure of performance” includes:

  • A breach of the contract warranty
  • A fraudulent, deceptive or dishonest practice
  • A conversion of funds

The Contractor Restitution Trust Fund is administered by the Broward County Central Examining Boards.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​


If you wish to appeal any decision made by the board, agency, or commission, as applicable, with respect to any matter considered at such meeting or hearing, you will need a record of the proceedings . You may thus need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.

Please share your feedback.​