It's officially summertime and there is no place I would rather be than in Broward County! I know times are challenging and our vacation months will look very different this year, however, we can still enjoy the great outdoors. Please visit Sunny.org and Broward.org/Parks for additional resources to help guide you with activities for all ages. During this difficult time, we must follow all CDC guidelines as well as following the County's Executive Orders, which means face coverings are
when in Public, washing our hands continuously, staying at least 6 feet apart, and carrying hand-sanitizer with us at all times.
If you suspect a business or person is violating any of the guidelines or executive orders, please dial 311 and report the violation. Remember, we are all in this together, and the life or lives you save may be your own.
Here's to a safe, fun, and prosperous summer!
I welcome your comments and want to hear which issues are important to you. Send an email to me at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call my office at 954-357-7008. Also, check out the Barbara Sharief Facebook page at
Facebook.com/barbara.sharief.3 or follow me at
Twitter.com/bestmom39 or on Instagram at
Broward County Surtax "Penny for Your Transportation"
NOTE: New Projects in Your City maps coming soon!
County staff is currently working on a collaborative 5-year Plan due August 2020 to the Independent Transportation Surtax Oversight Board. The Plan will include public engagement opportunities around large projects.
At the June 18th Broward County Commission meeting, the Board approved funding for FY2020 County Public Works projects in the amount of $24.5M, and the very first cycle of municipal projects. Action allows 97 municipal-requested capital projects in the amount of $65.7M and 40 municipal-requested rehabilitation & maintenance projects in the amount of $55.5M for a total of $121.2M to municipalities, in addition to $19.2M for full funding of 18 municipal Community Shuttles.
These transportation surtax funded projects will help stimulate our local economy and mitigate impacts of COVID-19. This entails building a foundation through mobility advancement and the creation of direct, indirect, and induced jobs. Keeping these revenues local is our priority - by investing in small businesses, countywide regional projects, and municipal projects.
In addition, roadway improvements such as fiber optic installations, traffic signal upgrades and synchronization, lighting and drainage projects, plus numerous transportation-related studies, Broward County Transit service enhancements, and data and technology research are in full swing. Stay tuned for more details.
2020 Election Cycle
The Primary Election will be held on Tuesday, August 18, 2020 for purposes of party nominations for the General Election on November 3, 2020. Only voters who are registered members of the respective political party can vote for the candidate nominees in the primary election.
Browardsoe.org to request your Mail-By-Vote Ballot. Registration deadline for the upcoming elections:
Primary Election—July 20, 2020
General Election—October 5, 2020
The following are offices that are currently scheduled for election this year to fill national, state, county, and district offices:
U.S. President and Vice President
Representative in Congress: Districts 20, 22, 23 and 24
State Attorney: Judicial Circuit 17
Public Defender: Judicial Circuit 17
State Senator: Districts 29, 33 and 35
State Representative: Districts 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 101, 102, 103, 104 and 105
District Court of Appeal
Circuit Judge, Seventeenth Judicial Circuit: Groups 16, 18, 27, 30 and 50
Clerk of the Circuit Court
Supervisor of Elections (SOE)
County Judge: Groups 22, 27 and 31
School Board: Districts 3 and 9
County Commissioner: Districts 7 and 9
Back to School Tax-Free Holiday
The 2020 Florida Back-to-School Sales Tax Holiday is happening again this year from August 7-9, 2020. During this sales tax holiday period, qualifying items will be exempt from tax including: certain school supplies selling for $15 or less per item; and clothing, footwear, and certain accessories selling for $60 or less per item; and computers and certain accessories selling for $1,000 or less per item, when purchased for non-commercial or personal use. The Department of Revenue will publish a full list of applicable items closer to August. To see the full list visit
Back to School
The first day of school is scheduled for August 19th. When schools reopen this fall, students and teachers will not be returning to the classroom learning environments they left behind in March. Some of the most obvious differences will be the increased sanitization of classrooms and buses, teachers and children wearing masks and other personal protective equipment (PPE), frequent temperature checks, hand-washing and new rules that allow for as much social distancing as possible. In addition, class schedules will involve a blended model of continued remote learning and the partial reintroduction of classroom instruction.
Hurricanes are dangerous and can cause major damage because of storm surge, wind damage, and flooding. An above-normal 2020 Atlantic hurricane season is expected according to forecasters with NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. The outlook predicts a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season. The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. Planning and preparing can make a big difference in safety and resiliency in the wake of a hurricane. The ability to quickly recover following a hurricane requires a focus on preparedness, advance planning, and knowing what to do in the event of a hurricane. Broward County has valuable and free information at
Broward.org/Hurricane. Remember, people don’t plan to fail, they fail to plan!
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is Not Recyclable
The Solid Waste and Recycling Services, Government Recycling Program would like to remind you to Recycle Right, even during these trying times. Though the COVID-19 pandemic has redefined how we operate at the workplace, recycling remains an important service for Broward County facilities. However, we are noticing an increase in contamination with plastic bags, disinfectant wipes, face masks, gloves, and other PPE in recycling containers. Please be advised that those items cannot be recycled and should be placed in the TRASH.
Recycle these items: Food boxes/paper; aluminum & steel cans; plastic bottles; and flattened cardboard boxes.
DO NOT Recycle these items: Plastic wraps or packaging, paper towels, plastic bags, pizza boxes, food, food containers, or any PPE items.
AND DO NOT THROW THEM ON THE GROUND! DISPOSE PROPERLY IN THE GARBAGE CAN.
On Monday, September 7th we will observe Labor Day. The original intent of Labor Day was to provide a holiday that would honor the social and economic achievements of American workers. Essentially, it was intended to be an annual national tribute to the contribution's workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of the country. It is held annually on the first Monday of September. For many Americans, particularly children and young adults, it represents the end of the summer and the start of the back-to-school season.
National Sugar Cookie Day is July 9th
Sugar Cookie Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Place butter into the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese and beat another 2 minutes. Slowly add sugar, beating another 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low and add egg yolks one at a time then vanilla extract. Turn mixer off for a minute. Mix flour and salt in large mixing bowl. Turn mixer back on low speed and add 1/3 of flour mixture beating until combined. Add the next 1/3 of flour mixture beating until combined, then the final 1/3 flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured countertop or on top of floured parchment paper. With floured hands, knead a few times folding dough in half then pressing and in half again. Divide dough into 2 equal parts forming discs. Wrap each disc with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours before using or freeze for 45 minutes-1 hour before using.
When dough has been chilled, roll dough into 1/4-1/2-inch-thick large round onto a lightly floured countertop. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Use cookie cutters to cut desired cookie shapes and transfer to baking sheets. Cookies can be close to each other. Very minimal spreading. Bake cookies for 15 minutes, until lightly golden on edges. Let cool completely before icing.
To prepare icing place powdered sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in milk until smooth then add corn syrup beating until smooth. Divide icing into bowls and add food coloring as desired. Dip or paint cookies with a brush. Let dry completely before packaging.
Original "Mickey Mouse Sugar Cookie Recipe" and image from
CONGRATULATIONS District 8 2020 High School Valedictorians and Salutatorians
At the June 16th Commission Meeting, I had the pleasure of recognizing and presenting Proclamations to the 2020 Valedictorians and Salutatorians representing Everglades High, Miramar High, Pembroke Pines Charter, Somerset Academy Charter, Somerset Arts Conservatory & West Broward High. Congratulations again and I want to wish you much success as you enter the next phase of your educational learning.