Consumer Complaints

​​File a Complaint

  • We administer, regulate and enforce county, state and federal consumer protection laws and rules involving unfair or deceptive trade practices and offer information and referrals involving consumer issues.
  • We will investigate and mediate your complaint if you feel you are a victim of an unfair or deceptive trade practice by a business located in Broward County or involving a service performed in Broward County.
  • We also issue citations against a variety of businesses, including auto repair shops, auto body/paint shops, taxicabs, limousines, transport vans, chauffeurs, towing and movers operating in violation of county ordinances.

We accept written complaints from consumers regarding alleged unfair and deceptive trade practices of businesses, generally limited to those businesses which are located in Broward County. If you believe you have been a victim of an unfair and/or deceptive trade practice, please file a complaint online (select "Request for Service").​ You are welcome to call 954-357-5350 with any questions.

When filing a complaint, please explain your problem simply and concisely. Be sure to include copies of all documents related to your complaint, including but not limited to Receipts, Contracts, Pictures, Proof of Payment, Advertisements and Correspondence.

Remember: send only copies – keep your originals!


Other Complaint Resources

If we are unable to handle your complaint and we know of another enforcement agency which may be able to assist you, we will provide you with referral information. If you have a question about a consumer issue other than a complaint, we will provide you with any available resources and information we may have. Some complaints, however, are best resolved in a court of law. Here are some of the other enforcement agencies that may be able to help: