Consumer Issues

We regulate local household moving companies, requiring individuals and companies located in Broward County to register annually for a license to engage in local moves, as detailed in Chapter 20-176.90 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances. A local move is one that begins and ends in the South Florida tri-county area: Broward, Miami Dade or Palm Beach counties. The moving ordinance includes specific rights and obligations for both the mover and the customer. Violators of the ordinance may be subject to civil penalties and revocation or suspension of their license.

While Broward County's ordinance focuses on local moves, other agencies provide oversight of intrastate and interstate moves. Intrastate moves are ones that begin and end in Florida but either the origin or destination, or both, are outside the tri-county area. They are governed by state law and regulations which are administered by the Florida Division of Consumer Services.​​ Interstate moves involve moving across state lines and are regulated by the US Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Applying for or Renewing a Mover's Registration

You must provide the following:

  1. Completed application
  2. Payment of $325 registration fee and $50 mover permit (decal) fee for each vehicle
  3. Copy of your driver’s license
  4. Copy of your vehicle registration for each vehicle
  5. Copy of your insurance certificates
  6. Copy of your workers' compensation insurance or exemption certificate
  7. Copy of your county business tax receipt
  8. Copy of your city business tax receipt (if applicable)​
  9. Copy of your corporation or fictitious name documents


  • Application packets and fees will be accepted in-person or by mail sent to Broward County Consumer Protection Division, 1 North University Drive, Mailbox 302, Plantation, FL 33324. Application fees, submitted by mail, must be in the form of a check. Application fees submitted in-person may be paid by check or credit card.​
  • Effective September 1st, 2022, all mover Certificates of Insurance will have to be submitted to our office by the insurance producer.  The Division will no longer be accepting copies that are submitted by an applicant.  Please have your insurance provider email the Certificates of Insurance to and place the name o​f the insured in the Subject line of the email.
  • Certificates of insurance include: cargo legal liability, motor vehicle combined bodily injury and property damage liability and general liability certificates of insurance (ACORD form). The certificates must prove adequate insurance coverage that is in full force and effect. For insurance coverage minimum limit, see the Broward County Moving Ordinance. The certificates must list Broward County as a certificate holder and must provide at least 30 days advance notice of cancellation. If using truck rentals, you must provide us with a statement from the rental company that the truck is for moving purpose; and provide proof of insurance.
  • If your business has 3 or fewer employees, you must provide a "Certificate of Exemption from Florida Workers' Compensation Law" from the State of Florida Department of Financial Services or submit an explanation letter of exemption.
  • Provide a copy of the Articles of Incorporation and corporate minutes listing your business' officers/directors. If operating under a fictitious name, you must provide a copy of an active, current fictitious name registration, issued by Florida Secretary of State, Division of Corporations.

New Applicants

When we have verified that you have submitted all of the above, we will send your new registration and vehicle decal(s) by certified mail. You must also apply for your Intrastate Moving License with the Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services.

Renewal Applicants

After we process your registration fees and verify all the above information has been submitted and is complete, we will send your new registration and vehicle decal(s) by certified mail.​​​