This is advanced professional, supervisory, and administrative work assisting
the Director in planning, organizing, coordinating, and managing the operations
of the Risk Management Division. Work involves responsibility for assisting the Director in departmental supervision and on special projects pertinent to the administration of the purchased and self insurance programs of BrowardCounty, advising on budgetary and managerial issues, and representing the Director on special assignments. Serves as Claims Manager for the
Liability and Workers’ Compensation Claims Administration Sections within the Division.
· Assists in directing, supervising, and planning the activities, and operations
of the Risk Management Division.
· Makes recommendations and implement changes to policies and procedures to meet
· Coordinates and assists in managing activities associated with the
administration of the self insurance program and commercial insurance policies
to include timely renewal of policies required, follow-through of the proper
purchasing procedures to obtain required insurance coverage.
· Serves as Claims Manager with direct supervision over both the Liability and Workers’ Compensation Claims Administration Sections within the Division.
· Serves as liaison between the CountyAttorney's Office and the Liability and Workers’ Compensation adjusting staff.
· Performs periodic review and written updates of the Divisional Internal Control
Handbook and other procedures manuals for the Liability and Workers’ Compensation Claims Administration sections.
· Serves as the Director's liaison and coordinates special projects as assigned by
the Director for securing consultants, insurance, agents/brokers, insurance
carriers , vendors, and other services needed for managing risks on behalf of the
· Serves as acting director in the absence of the director and represents the
Division and County at conferences and public and professional meetings.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE( Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledge, Abilities and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for the position in this job title:
· Thorough knowledge of the current principals and practices of self insured and
purchased insurance risk management programs for governmental entities.
· Thorough knowledge of the applicable laws, regulations and procedures
related to the management and operation of the county's Risk Management
· Thorough knowledge of both Liability and Workers’ Compensation claims administration laws, regulations, practices and procedures.
· Thorough knowledge of the principals of supervision, organization, and
· Considerable knowledge of automated claims administration systems and office automation applications, i.e. Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
· Ability to plan, direct and supervise divisional operations and activities.
· Ability to analyze facts and exercise sound judgement in decision making and use
discretion in establishing, applying, and interpreting division policies and
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
· Ability to prepare materials and make presentations to large groups.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in
full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty's Ethics and Conflict
of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university with major course
work in business, public administration, insurance/risk management or related
field ; minimum six (6) years insurance industry experience of which two (2)
years must be in self insured and self administered governmental entity risk management programs;
and four (4) years or more claims management experience or any combination of relevant training
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Possession and retention of a valid FloridaState Dr ive r’s License
PREFERRED LICENSE OR RISK MANAGEMENT DESIGNATION
Possess one of the following: A valid State of Florida 5-20 All Lines Adjuster’s License; or a valid State of Florida 2-20 Insurance Agent’s License; or an Associate of Risk Management (ARM) designation; or a Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) designation; or other Risk Management designation.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Exempt
Code of Ethics
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E10/0 R 08/07