SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs limited technical and administrative work in the Contract Compliance section of the Recycling and Contract Administration Division.
· Inspects lots and swales for trash and horticultural material to be removed per Code Enforcement violations and makes estimates of tonnage to be removed, equipment necessary and associated cost; monitors contractor to ensure that work is completed according to agreement.
· Monitors unincorporated Broward County Garbage/Trash/Recycling contracts for compliance by franchise haulers.
· Investigates and documents complaints received from residents and other agencies; mediates and resolves problems arising from disputes between haulers and residents.
· Provides staff assistance to an administrative superior in specially assigned areas of operations.
· Instructs residents on procedures for collection of bulk trash/garbage/recyclables.
· Gives presentations to homeowners, civic associations and schools regarding programs and services offered, policies and procedures for the collection of solid waste and recyclables and of special waste depots.
· Participates in various programs, such as Adopt-a-Street, Community Cleanup, Waterway Cleanup and related public education campaigns.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledge’s, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of the standard terminology, techniques and practices of contract compliance.
· Ability to make moderately complex mathematical computations accurately.
· Ability to interpret BrowardCounty codes, ordinances and contracts and effectively resolve associated problems.
· Ability to engage in field work for extended periods and occasionally under adverse weather conditions as necessitated by work assignments.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to operate a personal computer.
· Ability to read maps.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty's Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of BrowardCounty solid waste compliance ordinances and regulations.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from high school, including or supplemented by course work in planning or engineering; two (2) years experience in the solid waste recycling field including customer service or public relations work; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
Bargaining Unit: Government Supervisor’s Association
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Class Spec: Established: 12/1995 Revised: 07/2004