SUMMARY: Under general to limited supervision, installs, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs a variety of traffic signals and related equipment.
• Sets out temporary traffic control devices at the work site in order to provide a safe work environment and facilitate safe, efficient traffic flow.
• Wires signals/cabinets in order to ensure that traffic control devices function properly.
• Troubleshoots traffic signal systems in order to identify type/cause of malfunctions and facilitate timely repair of malfunctioning equipment.
• Performs a variety of minor vehicle/equipment maintenance/repair to assigned vehicle/equipment in order to ensure safe operation of equipment, minimize major repairs, and/or prevent damage to equipment.
• Interacts with the public and other staff in order to answer questions or identify their service needs by talking with people in person, asking questions, explaining policies and procedures, and/or giving directions.
• Installs traffic signals at intersections, rail road crossings, fire stations, and related locations in order to facilitate safe, efficient traffic flow at high risk areas.
• Programs a variety of traffic signal controllers in order to regulate traffic for maximum safety and efficient traffic flow.
• Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
• Knowledge of established safety procedures for performing a variety of skilled electrical construction, maintenance, and repair work.
• Ability to operate a variety of hand/power tools/equipment used in completing a variety of traffic signal installation/maintenance projects.
• Knowledge of electric circuit/load principles.
• Ability to use a variety of electronic testing equipment to diagnose/troubleshoot problems in electronic equipment and/or electrical systems.
• Ability to troubleshoot a variety of electrical/electronic problems.
• Ability to analyze problems and identify possible solutions.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
• Ability to work with limited supervision.
• Knowledge of installation procedures for a variety of traffic signals, controllers, and related devices.
• Knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation work zone safety regulations.
• Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities associated with traffic signal and/or street light maintenance and installation.
• Ability to operate a variety of construction equipment, including cranes, lift trucks, and bucket trucks.
• Ability to read, understand, and follow plans/schematic drawings used for a variety of traffic signal installation/maintenance projects.
• Ability to read, understand, and follow technical codes, guidelines, instructions associated with completing a variety of traffic signal installation/maintenance projects.
• Ability to perform routine maintenance/repairs on tools/equipment used in completing a variety of traffic signal and/or street light related work orders.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING : Successful completion of job related tests. Three (3) years experience in skilled electrical/electronic equipment maintenance and repair desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid Florida Class “B” Commercial Driver's license with air brake endorsement.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Financial Disclosure Required: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1976 R 01/2013