SUMMARY : Under general supervision, performs a variety of skilled welding repair, maintenance and fabrication work.
· Performs a variety of routine maintenance/repairs in order to maintain facility/equipment in operating condition, ensure safe work environment, and/or ensure service is not interrupted.
· Performs scheduled preventive maintenance on a variety of mechanical/ hydraulic/motorized or stationary equipment including pumps, guardrails, lift stations, gates, and fences.
· Estimates/determines materials, supplies, equipment, and time needed to complete assigned welding work orders/projects.
· Troubleshoots a variety of mechanical/hydraulic/structural equipment/system problems.
· Obtains materials, supplies, and equipment needed to complete assigned welding project/work order.
· Interacts with the public and/or other staff in order to answer questions or identify their service needs.
· Identifies general facility and other maintenance/repair needs.
· Prepares work orders in order to document activities, track time/material costs, and identify location/nature of the maintenance/repair.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for performing a variety of skilled welding, maintenance, and repair work.
· Knowledge of types of materials appropriate for use in a variety of skilled construction, maintenance, and repair work.
· Knowledge of metals and their characteristics including rod types, sizes and appropriate uses.
· Knowledge of tools and equipment used for a variety of skilled welding tasks.
· Knowledge of mechanical/hydraulic system troubleshooting procedures and techniques.
· Knowledge of basic mathematics, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
· Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow technical codes, guidelines, instructions associated with completing a variety of skilled welding projects.
· Ability to operate tools/equipment used in completing a variety of skilled maintenance projects involving welding.
· Ability to estimate the amount of time needed to complete an assigned project.
· Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division.
· Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities associated with completing a variety of skilled welding/maintenance projects.
· Ability to perform routine maintenance/repairs on tools/equipment used in completing a variety of welding/maintenance projects.
· Ability to determine the type/amount of materials needed to complete the assigned project.
· Ability to determine the tools/equipment needed to complete the assigned project.
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to analyze problems and identify possible solutions.
· Ability to troubleshoot a variety of structural/mechanical/hydraulic system problems.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County ’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of the Building Codes.
· Knowledge of basic electrical circuit/load principles.
· Knowledge of established customer service procedures and techniques.
· Knowledge of safety procedures for storing/disposing of a variety of hazardous materials.
· Knowledge of BrowardCounty purchasing procedures.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow blueprints/schematics/shop drawings used for a variety of skilled maintenance projects involving welding.
· Ability to explain work procedures to less experienced staff.
· Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work activities.
· Ability to conceptualize solutions to a variety of maintenance issues or problems, layout and fabricate needed parts or solutions.
· Ability to climb a ladder, work at heights up to 40’ and work in confined spaces.
· Ability to bend, stoop, twist, and reach to complete a variety of work assignments.
· Ability to enter data into a computerized record system.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Graduation from high school; one (1) year of full time welding repair and maintenance work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1976 R 06/2004