SUMMARY : Under close to general supervision, installs and repairs a variety of traffic control signs and related devices/markings.
· Sets out temporary traffic control devices at the work site in order to provide a safe work environment and facilitate safe, efficient traffic flow.
· Performs a variety of minor vehicle/equipment maintenance/repair to assigned vehicle/equipment in order to ensure safe operation of equipment, minimize major repairs, and/or prevent damage to equipment.
· Trains staff in the use of a variety of sign installation and street marking equipment in order to ensure that employees use the equipment properly and complete assignments correctly.
· Installs/replaces a variety of traffic control/information signs in order to facilitate safe use of roadways, provide location, event, and/or traffic/road condition information to the public.
· Applies a variety of traffic control markings, including cross walks, center lines, stop bars, turning/merge markings, printed messages, etc. to streets in order to facilitate safe use of roadways.
· Interacts with the public and other staff in order to answer questions or identify their service needs.
· Fabricates a variety of signs in order to facilitate traffic safety/control and provide information to the public.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE : (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title.)
· Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
· Ability to read, understand, and follow technical manuals regarding the operation/maintenance/repair of a variety of sign installation, street marking, and other specialized equipment.
· Ability to read maps/follow directions to find work locations throughout BrowardCounty.
· Ability to learn to perform a variety of work activities.
· Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County ’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of established safety procedures for operating a variety of sign installation, street marking, and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of appropriate minor maintenance/repair procedures/techniques for a variety of sign installation, street marking, and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of procedures for operating a variety of sign installation, street marking, and other specialized equipment.
· Knowledge of street locations in BrowardCounty.
· Ability to work with limited supervision.
· Ability to operate a variety of sign installation, street marking, and other specialized equipment .
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE : Successful completion of job related tests. One (1) year full time general construction or closely related experience desired.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT : Must possess a valid Florida Driver’s license, and a Class "B" Commercial Driver's License with air brake endorsement.
Bargaining Unit: Blue Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab./Revised: E 10/1976 R 05/2012