Human Resources Division
115 South Andrews Avenue, Room 508
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33301
|RISK MANAGEMENT CLAIMS SUPERVISOR|
This is specialized advanced and complex technical work involving the investigation and settlement of Liability claims for alleged damages and personal injury arising from the operation or use of county property and for Workers’ Compensation claims arising from county employment. In addition, this position is responsible for supervisory and administrative work for the Liability and Workers’ Compensation Sections of the County’s Self Insurance Program.
ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS :
- Plans, organizes and conducts the investigation, negotiation and settlement of all assigned high exposure claims and/or litigated Liability and Workers’ Compensation claims of a governmental self-insured agency.
- Proactively manages complex and litigated claims in compliance with technical guide lines and jurisdictional statue.
- Plans, assigns and reviews work of claim adjusters in the assigned section.
- Supervises claims adjusters and support staff in the assigned section and provides guidance and assistance as a mentor or coach.
- Reviews all new claims received daily to determine type of claim and assigns to the appropriate adjuster within the assigned section.
- Audits claims for accuracy and adequacy of financial reserves for claims handled by the adjusters within the assigned section.
- Audits claims for conformity to state and federal rules/regulations and in accordance with County procedures for claims handled by the adjusters within the assigned section.
- Analyzes claim administration activities of the assigned section, prepares findings reports and recommendations for management’s review and consideration.
- Prepares complex oral, written and statistical reports for the assigned section.
- Attends meetings, conferences and seminars pertaining to the assigned section.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledge, Abilities and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job title)
- Thorough knowledge of laws applicable to Liability and/or Workers’ Compensation claims dependent upon area of assignment.
- Thorough knowledge of investigative and adjustment techniques, procedures and practices involving Liability and Workers’ Compensation claims dependent upon area of assignment.
- Thorough knowledge of medical terminology as required for reviewing diagnostic and treatment records/reports.
- Thorough knowledge of HIPAA’s privacy and security requirements as they pertain to protected health care information.
- Thorough knowledge of claims administration practices.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to analyze facts and exercise sound judgment in negotiations, adjustment and investigation matters.
- Ability to manage professional claims adjusting staff.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and exercise analytical judgment in accordance with established guidelines.
- Ability to handle challenging public relations and employee relation issues and present a positive image in a customer relations setting.
- Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of BrowardCounty’s Ethics and Conflict of Interest Policies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or gender identity and expression.
- Skills in negotiation, litigation management, and presentation.
- Skills in problem solving and analysis.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Graduation from high school supplemented by college level or insurance industry course work; four (4) years experience in complex claims adjusting and litigation management; and two (2) years experience as a lead worker or work in an administrative capacity; or any equivalent combination of relevant training and experience.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENT
Possession of State of Florida All-Lines Adjustor's License.
Bargaining Unit: Unrepresented
FLSA Status: Exempt
Code of Ethics Certification: No
Class Spec. Estab ./Revised: E 6/1991 R 5/14