SUMMARY: Under close to general supervision, performs a variety of clerical activities in a County revenue collection or tag processing facility.
· Processes money received in order to account for vehicle tag/title fees, personal property/real estate taxes, occupational/hunting/fishing license fees, and/or information/research fees.
· Interacts with the public or other County staff/officials in order to assist them in using Department services/programs, collect fees, answer questions, identify their service needs, and explain Department policies and procedures.
· Posts funds received in order to credit the proper account for disbursement by determining license, permit, property ID, and/or account number, entering data into computer, and issuing receipt.
· Prepares a variety of correspondence, notifications, forms, meeting minutes, and related documents in order to communicate information to staff and/or the public.
· Balances cash drawer in order to ensure money (bills, coins and checks) in drawer matches funds processed.
· Tracks funds received on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis in order to record/document activity by filling out log sheets and/or entering information into computer.
· Resolves a variety of problems/issues from the public in order to maximize the efficiency/effectiveness of office operation and/or service provided.
· Researches misapplied account payments in order to post funds received to correct account.
· Checks payment history in order to answer questions from petitioners and respondents regarding payment history.
· Reviews payments and/or related documents in order to ensure accuracy.
· Updates/maintains a variety of databases in order to facilitate information recording, storage, and retrieval and/or to track activity/volume of work.
· Retrieves information/summary reports from a variety of databases in order to facilitate data/trend analysis, and/or provide data/information to staff, County officials, and/or the public.
· Processes requests for Department materials/information received by phone, fax, email, or in person in order to provide patrons with requested materials/information.
· Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE: (Applicants are expected to possess the required Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below prior to being hired for positions in this job class.)
- Knowledge of procedures for operating various office equipment, including personal computers.
- Knowledge of abbreviations/codes to be used in a variety of databases.
- Ability to enter data into a variety of database applications.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and/or division.
- Ability to read names, account numbers, amounts and related information on a variety of documents.
- Ability to sort/file materials alphabetically, chronologically, and/or numerically.
- Ability to read and understand data/information from a variety of computer printouts or related documents.
- Ability to touch type.
- Ability to perform routine/minor maintenance/repairs on a variety of office and computer related equipment.
- Ability to identify errors in account numbers, dates, amounts or related information.
- Ability to learn/perform a variety of work activities in assigned Department.
· Ability to review/evaluate data/information to identify errors.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, elected and appointed officials and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or political affiliation.
· Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of Broward County =s Ethics and Conflict of Interest policies.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS – NOT REQUIRED AT TIME OF HIRE BUT EXPECTED TO BE DEVELOPED ON THE JOB: (The following Knowledges, Abilities, and/or Skills listed below, although considered to be necessary in order to perform the work of this job title, are not required at time of hire.)
· Knowledge of the general operating policies and procedures of the assigned Department.
- Knowledge of types and locations of various materials and services within the assigned Department or facility.
- Knowledge of the chain of command in the assigned Department.
- Knowledge of the operation and use of the database used.
- Knowledge of established customer service policies, procedures, and techniques.
- Knowledge of policies and procedures for processing incoming/outgoing data/files.
- Knowledge of data needed on checks.
- Knowledge of general policies, procedures, and techniques for interacting with disruptive individuals.
- Knowledge of Department policies and procedures for handling cash, checks, and credit card transactions.
- Knowledge of procedures, techniques, and resources for researching tax related information.
- Knowledge of regulations, policies and procedures of the assigned revenue collection Department.
- Knowledge of established policies and procedures for retention of public records.
- Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Successful completion of job related tests. One (1) year of office support, cashier, or closely related work desired.
Bargaining Unit: White Collar
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Class Spec Established/Revised: 06/2004 04/2012