What We Do
Providing planning services that promote a sustainable built environment for Broward County residents. Reviewing and regulating impacts of development to promote sustainable urban growth for residents and businesses. Providing enterprise-wide GIS services that support innovation and efficiency throughout Broward County. Promoting safety and compliance through zoning regulations for a better community in the BMSD.
Broward County GIS & Maps conducts geographic spatial analysis and mapping services while providing enterprise-wide governance for GIS, including establishing and maintaining standards and infrastructure for GIS within Broward County government. The GIS group is available to provide GIS support to other county agencies that do not have these capabilities and to serve as liaison between County agencies and GIS consultants.
Broward County GIS is also responsible for coordinating and conducting the GIS Users Group, which typically meets the last Wednesday of each month. The Users Group is a forum for networking between GIS users across the County and South Florida, providing access to training and the latest technology within the field.
We provide demographic data analysis services for Broward County agencies. Here you will find population and economic statistics, trends, and research about the residents and businesses that make up Broward County. Census profiles provide data about our 31 municipalities and the Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD). Broward-by-the-Numbers is an occasional publication that highlights new data about people, housing, and the local economy. We provide long-range population forecasts, for areas within the County, which are used for transportation, water supply and school planning.
Comprehensive planning is a process that brings together business and community leaders, elected officials, and government agencies. The Broward County Comprehensive Plan identifies goals and policies that will improve our economy and quality of life. The Board of County Commissioners adopts the Comprehensive Plan and amendments to keep it updated.
The Planning and Development Management Division provides professional support to the Board in comprehensive planning and a broad range of planning services, including:
- Comprehensive Plan and Map Series Amendments
- Rezoning and Compatibility Reviews
- Verification of Compliance and Land Use Plan Amendments Review
- DRIs and Special Districts
- Special Projects and Reports
Boards and Committees
We administer the Land Development Code and also ensure projects comply with the Natural Resource Protection Code as part of the development management process.
- Overgrown grass and noxious vegetation
- Improperly stored inoperable or derelict vehicles and vessels (boats)
- Parking or storage of prohibited commercial vehicles in residential neighborhoods
- Unauthorized commercial activities occurring within residential neighborhoods
- Open-air storage of prohibited items
- Discolored building exteriors and graffiti
- Illegal advertising signs
- Landscaping neglect
- Buildings showing visible signs of neglect and disrepair
- Abandoned property
- Improper storage of garbage, recycling carts, and dumpsters
- Construction work without zoning approval and permits
- Minimum housing code standards
We also work to accomplish neighborhood revitalization and the quality of life through many programs, including:
- Education and citizen outreach
- Community leadership surveys
- Proactive code compliance patrol
- Land clearance abatement
- Junk property abatement
- Free paint distribution assistance
- Partnering with neighborhood civic associations
- Periodic code enforcement neighborhood sweeps
- Abandoned and vacant real property registration and maintenance
In the Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD) and other unincorporated areas in Broward County, we issue zoning permits for the following: