Jetscape FBO Future Expansion Project
Jetscape FBO Notice of Availability
Jetscape FBO Environmental Assessment
Awards, Green Activities, Initiatives, and References
Aviation Department Wins the 2016 Florida Airports Council Environmental Award
The Florida Airports Council (FAC) recognized Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) for its efforts and commitment to the environment.
On Wednesday, July 20, 2016, at the 47th FAC Conference, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) received the J. Bryan Cooper Environmental Award for its Sustainable Strategic Initiatives. BCAD's successful implementation of these Sustainable Strategic Initiatives at FLL help conserve and protect our natural resources.
In keeping with Broward County's commitment to environmental stewardship, BCAD developed, designed, and implemented various Sustainable Strategic Initiatives at FLL. This collectively exemplify BCAD's commitment by incorporating sustainability into its airport operations and facilities.
"I am very proud of BCAD's staff for their continuing efforts to protect the environment," said Mark Gale, CEO/Director of Aviation. "FAC recognized our efforts by winning this prestigious environmental award. Our employees look for ways to reduce FLL's environmental footprint in the daily airport operations as well as our new buildings."
New Maintenance Facility
BCAD developed and implemented a Green Practices Program and a Water Resources Protection Program. The recently completed maintenance facility was designed and built with the environment in mind. The building recycled 95 percent of the construction debris and received a Leader in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certification.
The Terminal 4 Expansion and Modernization Project added five gates. It included numerous green design and construction elements such as:
- Rainwater and condensate water reuse system.
- Water efficient bathroom fixtures.
- Natural lighting to reduce the need for artificial lighting.
- The building uses reflective roofing materials to reduce heat.
- Workers recycled more than 50 percent of the construction debris.
These features reduce water use by 40 percent. It also provides 90 percent natural light. This reduces electric energy usage.
BCAD developed and implemented a Sustainable and Green Operations Program. This promotes the use of new green technologies. The program includes stormwater management, preventive facility inspections and maintenance, and environmentally friendly industrial practices. Additionally, BCAD promotes environmental and safety training, development of design manuals, guidance booklets, and educational materials that airport stakeholders can use.
The Water Resources Protection Program involves:
- Voluntary water quality monitoring.
- Sanitary sewage lift station inspections.
- Drainage outfall evaluations to differentiate seasonal and natural conditions from man-made discharges.
Park Assist in GaragesThe Aviation Department also received recognition for its use of electric cars and the new "Park Assist" system in our parking garages to aid motorists. The system is camera-based and guides motorists to the closest available parking spot reducing idle time, fuel consumption, and air emissions.
Green Airport Initiative
Sustainability Vision and Guiding Principles
Broward County Aviation Department (BCAD) is dedicated to minimize our impacts on the environment while increasing our operational efficiency, economic viability, and social responsibility.
BCAD is committed to integrate sustainability into the long-term business strategy, future development, day-to-day management, and operations of the Airport. In support of our vision, and building on our achievements to date, we will seek a comprehensive approach to sustainability based on these guiding principles:
- Communicate with our stakeholders to ensure they are kept informed and engaged on the priority sustainability issues for the Airport while working to address their concerns
- Foster involvement across BCAD to encourage staff-wide participation in our sustainability program by raising awareness and highlighting benefits of the program and its initiatives.
- Report regularly on our progress by aligning our sustainability key performance indicators and metrics with the reporting requirements of the County.
- Support our airlines and tenants through jointly exploring and encouraging ways for them to improve their own sustainability performance.
- Improve our economic viability through fiscally responsible measures that balance the needs of our community with the demands of the national aviation system.
- Increase operational efficiency throughout our facilities, infrastructure and information systems.
- Advance sustainable design and construction initiatives for all airport infrastructure and facilities projects through the implementation of sustainable design and construction guidelines.
- Encourage partnerships that enhance and utilize our diverse local businesses, people, and resources.
- Address climate change by striving to meet the County's greenhouse gas emission reduction goals and working with our regional partners to cultivate innovative solutions to environmental challenges.
- Protect our environmental resources by minimizing and managing our negative environmental impacts and partnering with the community on noise mitigation issues so we can address these impacts while balancing the need to operate a safe and efficient Airport.
West Lake Park Wetland Mitigation Wins Environmental Award
The West Lake Park Wetland Mitigation Program has won the prestigious 2011 Environmental Award by the Florida Airports Council (FAC).
Read the winning award application (PDF).
Caption: Accepting the award at the 42nd Annual FAC Conference are (left) Kent G. George, A.A.E., Director of Aviation; James McCluskie, Director of Planning; and Michael Pacitto, Environmental Manager.
The FAC Environmental Award recognizes member Airports for promoting or implementing environmental projects that have a positive effect on the Florida aviation system. This annual award is presented to both a commercial aviation airport and a general aviation airport.