Dear Community Members,
Its September and as students are back in school, one thing we learned this Summer is that COVID-19 is still a great part of our lives, even a year and a half since the first case in our community. As information changes daily please make sure to visit Broward.org/Coronavirus if you have any concerns or questions. The website is regularly updated to include testing and vaccination site updates, latest hospital reports, financial assistance information and more. Please stay safe!
Structural Committee Outcome
Broward County Mayor Steve Geller convened the Condominium Structural Issues Committee earlier this year after the tragic collapse of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside. Several meetings were held, which included comments from the public and much discussion by committee members and experts. The committee approved several recommendations and encourage residents living in condominiums to stay informed by viewing the meetings at Vimeo.com/BrowardCounty or
The remaining anticipated dates for King Tides this year are October 5-11, October 20-21, November 3-9, December 2-7. Since higher tides are possible on both the new moon and the full moon, additional dates to watch for tidal impacts include November 18-19, 2021. residents are encouraged to review flood safety tips, evaluate their property's readiness, review their flood insurance policy, and most importantly stay out of standing water on our roads, driveways, and properties. The County also encourages neighbors to monitor conditions and visit
Broward.org/waterresources for more resources and tools.
By the end of 2021, per state law, Broward County, like all other counties, is required to approve a new map of the Commission Districts as part of the redistricting process which rebalances districts to account for population shifts. Earlier this year the Board of County Commissioners selected Florida International University (FIU) to draw the new Commission Districts. Presentations have been done to both the Board of County Commissioner and subsequential community meetings (in person and virtually) for FIU to gain more feedback and insight from the community. Community outreach will occur through October. On November 15, FIU is expected to submit four plans for the Board's consideration. On December 7, the new Districts will be approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
For more information on this process please visit, LFisher@broward.orgBroward.org/Redistricting.
County Commission Approves the Fiscal Year (FY) 2022 Budget
With the approval of Broward County's Budget, the Board of County Commissioners have kept the County millage rate the same as in previous years, at 5.6690. Other key highlights of the approved budget include:
- Twenty-five million dollars for affordable housing with the possibility of additional support through the American Rescue Plan for qualifying projects that produce housing to increase the supply of affordable and high-quality living units, building stronger communities through investments in housing and neighborhoods.
- Funding for important environmental studies, with up to $1 million in County funding for a Waste Generation study, and $1 million for a resiliency review of County-owned facilities in preparation for accessing the federal government's infrastructure funding.
- One million dollars for programs related to the Children's Services Board; $1.575 million for additional permanent supportive housing; and $1 million for a “Landlord Assurance Fund" in support of homeless housing.
For more information on the County's budget and the budget process please visit
|Thursday, September 23, 2021 @ 7PM
Miramar Town Center – City Hall
2300 Civic Center Place Miramar, FL 33025
|Wednesday, September 29, 2021 @ 7PM
Virtual Meeting (Zoom)
See Broward.org/redistricting for the meeting link.
|Monday, September 27, 2021 @ 7PM
Broward County Library – Hollywood Branch
2600 Hollywood Boulevard Hollywood, FL 33020
|Thursday, September 30, 2021 @ 7PM
E. Pat Larkins Community Center
520 NW 3rd Street Pompano Beach, FL 33060
|Tuesday, September 28, 2021 @ 7PM
Broward County West Regional Library
8601 W. Broward Boulevard Plantation, FL 33324
|Saturday, Oct. 16, 2021 @ 10AM
Champions Hall Community Center
6601 Boulevard of Champions North Lauderdale, FL 33068
County Job Fair
Broward County's Aviation Department will be hosting an in-person job fair at the BB&T Center, 1 Panther Parkway, Sunrise FL 33323 on Wednesday, September 29, 2021, from 9AM-4PM. The job fair will include an opportunity to meet with approximately 800 vendors including car rental agencies, concessioners, airlines, TSA and more. For more information, please email
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month, an annual public awareness campaign that aims to bring attention to the food insecurities in our community and encouraging all who can to donate. As families and neighbors get back on their feet after a rough year and the hunger crisis intensifying, it is prudent that we come together to help those that who are less fortunate. Please visit
Broward.org/fooddrive for information on donation box locations and other ways to donate.
Recent County Commission Action
- The Board approved three Job Creation Incentive Grants; each will create over 200 new high-wage/high-skill jobs in our community.
- I'm happy to report that the City of Pompano Beach is the first city to apply and be approved by the Board of County Commissioners a land use change that will allow a portion of Dixie Highway, which is currently designated Commerce to be eligible for residential density, ultimately to provide for affordable housing.
- The Board also approved the 2022 State Legislative and Executive Program, which provides as a guide for our legislative advocacy efforts for the 2022 state legislative session. Key highlights in the program include support for resilience funding to local governments, support for state funding of the Central and Southern Flood Control Resilience Study and much more.
- I was happy to cosponsor a resolution where the County joins the Race to Zero and we get to work cutting carbon emissions 50% by 2030 and net zero by 2050.
To read, watch or join in our County Commission Meetings please visit broward.granicus.com/ViewPublisher.php?view_id=15
Out Safely in the Community
- Broward County Transit (BCT) New Electric Buses Demo
- Animal Care's 5th Anniversary Celebration
- Deerfield Beach Economic Development Council: 2021 Economic Development Summit
- Fort Lauderdale International Airport (FLL) September 11 Ceremony
- City of Fort Lauderdale 9/11 Memorial at Riverwalk
- City of Deerfield Beach 20th Anniversary 9/11 Ceremony
I am truly thankful to serve you and Commission District 4. If I can be of any assistance, please contact me at 954-357-7004 or
Also, follow me (@LamarPFisher) on Twitter and Facebook (@CommissionerLamarFisher).
Commissioner Lamar Fisher
Lamar P. Fisher
Lamar P. Fisher
Broward County Commissioner