Our new offices are located at:
Riverbend Corporate Park2307 West Broward Boulevard, Suite 300
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33312
Broward County Building Code Division is committed to the safety and health of our Customers, Partners, Employees, and the Community at large. We take this responsibility very seriously. As we continue to closely monitor the recent health concerns in our community and local offices, we want to provide you with the actions and planning that our agency has in place.
Cleaning efforts remain diligent and are routine in our offices. For the safety of our Employees and Customers, the following cautionary measures are in place:
ePermit option is available for Building Code Permits (Residential re-roofs, window and door replacements, residential A/C Changeouts, standard wood or chain link fencing) for Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD). This service is not currently available to FLL Airport and Elevator Permitting. Licensed Contractor registration is required.
Online payment option is available for Building Permits, Contractor Licensing, and Elevator Licensing and Permitting, and renewal of Elevator Certificate of Operation.
- Employees and Customers, in our offices, are strongly encouraged to routinely wash their hands, with soap and water, for 20 seconds.
- Social distancing practices (i.e., conference calls, postponed events, suspension of business travel, etc.) are recommended.
- If our location is directed to close, staff will still be available to respond to your questions. Please contact
email@example.com for more information. For Elevator Permitting and Licensing concerns, please contact
- For Broward County Contractor Licensing requirements or concerns, contact
- If the Call Center is unavailable for Building Inspection requests, the following procedures will be instituted:
- For next day inspections requests, please submit your request by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 3PM, Monday-Friday. The permit number, phone access code, inspection type, and contact information must be included. If all the required information is not included, the request will not be scheduled.
- For elevator inspection requests, please submit your request by email to
email@example.com, no later than 4PM, Monday-Friday. The BCID, Building Name, and job description or inspection type must be referenced in the email.
- Building Code Division provides permitting and code compliance and enforcement to the Broward Municipal Services District areas and Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Our agency also provides regional elevator permitting, enforcement and compliance, as well as contractor licensing and enforcement. Permitting and Code Enforcement activity will be performed for emergency permits and life-safety concerns, only, if our office is closed to both Employees and the Public. Please contact
firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please continue to be diligent and take precautionary measures to keep our community safe.
What We Do
Construction in unincorporated Broward County and also cities we contract with conform to the Florida Building Code and all other laws, ordinances, resolutions and regulations regarding construction, code enforcement, unsafe structure/minimum housing regulations, and elevator safety.
Mandates in Chapter 399 of the Florida State Statutes regarding elevator safety are monitored and strictly enforced. Regulation of all trades and occupations associated with the installation, repair, alteration, design or modification of electrical, plumbing, liquefied petroleum gas, mechanical systems, building construction industry; and engineered construction, as mandated by the Florida Statutes and Chapter 9 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances.
Government to Government
The reality of today’s budget constraints has resulted in several municipalities outsourcing portions or all of their building department functions. We are leading the way as a provider of comprehensive building services at very competitive rates.
We are fully committed to providing effective public service; quality, excellent customer service and a partnership you can trust. That's our agreement to you!
Boards and Committees
We coordinate meetings for the Central Examining Boards, created to regulate specific trades.
There are 6 boards:
Each Board consists of 6-9 members, 3 from the League of Cities and 3 appointed by the County Commission. All members volunteer their time. Each Board is required to meet at least 8 times per year where they, among other duties, review applications, hear complaints and hold disciplinary hearings.
In addition to assisting the Central Examining Boards in issuing Certificates of Competency, we administer a licensed contractor program and an unlicensed contractor program. Both of these programs include receiving and fielding complaints, performing investigations, compiling case files, holding disciplinary proceedings, issuing fines and performing mediation.
Our customized service options include:
- Establishing a full-service building department that can be staffed and operational either from your city’s government center or from our centrally located offices.
- Providing guaranteed increments of supplemental service as needed for certified building code inspectors and/or plans examiners for any of the
designated trades/disciplines (structural, electrical, plumbing or mechanical) including professional coverage such as a Building Official or Chief Building
- Providing supplemental/emergency services to augment peak demand for municipal building department staff.
Location, Location, Location!
For a seamless transition, we recommend your customers continue to submit applications for building permits and other services at your city hall or government center. An on-site Building Official will coordinate the operational activities and with designated city staff as desired by
management. Depending on the agreement, plan review activities can be performed on-site or transferred to our centralized permit center, should a large-scale review be required.
All inspection requests will be scheduled and performed according to current code requirements. Fees are typically collected on-site and may include a municipal cost recovery charge at the city’s request to adjust for associated municipal administrative costs related to specific building services application processing. Zoning code and property maintenance code enforcement services may be available under certain circumstances to full service customers.
Guaranteed Partial Staffing
For building departments that may need extra coverage during peak times or to offset temporary staff vacancies, we can guarantee a dedicated resource to provide plan review and/or inspection services. In accordance with the terms of an Inter-Local Agreement, the number of hours of plan review and inspection services required daily each week is determined by the city’s need. The city is invoiced on a monthly basis at the hourly rates for services rendered based on the published amounts set by ordinance in the adopted fee schedule.
Additional Service Options Available:
- Contractor licensing and enforcement
- Explosive materials monitoring and related blasting inspection services
- Florida Building Code enforcement, investigation and board hearings
- Investigations and hearings by the Broward County Minimum Housing/Unsafe Structures Board
- Property maintenance standards enforcement
- Zoning and landscape reviews and inspections
We are the Benchmark
We have an established agency offering experienced state and county certified professionals ready to support the permitting, plan review and inspection requirements of your city. Our staff of professional engineers, building code administrators, certified building plans examiners and inspectors as well as administrative personnel work diligently to implement the Florida Building Code.
We offer the latest available technology providing complete tracking of permit status from application, plan review, inspection, permit issuance and Certificate of Occupancy or Completion; public internet access to monitor their permit/inspection information and receive automatic e-mail/voicemail updates. Excellent positive customer service monitored by the scores shown in the customer service surveys submitted on-line or at the time service is provided.
Value Added Benefits
Government 2 Government contracting ensures stability and continuity of service. The risk of default is eliminated. Internal coordination with various county agencies that affect building activities, including:
Our building permit fees are set by an independent rate consultant and division expenditures are continually monitored by the County Auditor's Office. Our non-profit status eliminates the need to incorporate profit into the building permit fee schedule.
We currently provide full service to: