Walk-In Services at Government Center West (GCW) are available online.
Access the GCW Virtual Operations Information Page at the link below.
To access the Building Code Services Application and Forms page or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AVOID THE CROWDS-STAY HEALTHY
Broward County Building Code Services Division is committed to the safety and health of our Customers, Partners, Employees, and the Community at large. We take this responsibility very seriously. As we continue to closely monitor the recent health concerns in our community and local offices, we want to provide you with the actions and planning that our agency has in place.
Per the Emergency Order 20-01 issued by the County Administrator and effective, March 23, 2020, our agency has suspended the receipt of NEW permits and corrections to drawings for permits that have not been issued yet. Architects, Engineers, or Surveyors cannot submit and our agency cannot process permits for new projects which have not yet commenced construction, unless the drawings were completed, and signed and sealed by all engineers, architects or surveyors prior to the date the Emergency Order became effective.
Notwithstanding the above mentioned, our agency will continue to accept new ePermit applications for Residential re-roofs, windows/doors replacements, Residential A/C Changeouts, standard wood or chain link fences or vinyl fencing with an NOA and any other permit our applications that do not require a Licensed Architect, Professional Engineer or Surveyor. i.e electrical service changes drafted and notarized by a certified electrical contractor.
Once normal business operations have resumed, or once the Executive Ordered is amended or terminated, new permit applications will be accepted.
Cleaning efforts remain diligent and are routine in our offices. For the safety of our Employees and Customers, the following cautionary measures are in place:
- ePermit option is available for Building Code Permits (Residential re-roofs, windor and door replacements, residentail A/C Changeouts, standard wood or chain link fencing) for Broward Municipal Services District (BMSD). This service is not currently available to FLL Airport and Elevator Permitting. Licensed Contractor registration is required.
- Online payment option is available for Building Permits, Contractor Licensing, and Elevator Licensing and Permitting.
- Employees and Customers, in our offices, are strongly encouraged to routinely wash their hands, with soap and water, for 20 seconds.
- Social distancing practices (i.e., conference calls, postponed events, suspension of business travel, etc.) are recommended.
- If our location is directed to close, staff will still be available to respond to your questions. Please contact email@example.com for more information. For Elevator Permitting and Licensing concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Broward County Contractor Licensing requirements or concerns, contact BCSDCL@broward.org.
- If the Call Center is unavailable for Building Inspection requests, the following procedures will be instituted:
- For next day inspections requests, please submit your request by email to email@example.com, no later than 3:00PM, Monday-Friday. The permit number, phone access code, inspection type, and contact information must be included. If all the required information is not included, the request will not be scheduled.
- For Elevator inspection requests, please submit your request by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 4:00PM, Monday-Friday. The BCID, Building Name, and job description or inspection type must be referenced in the email.
- Building Code Services Division provides permitting and code compliance and enforcement to the Broward Municipal Services District areas and Fort Lauderdale International Airport. Our agency also provides regional elevator permitting, enforcement and compliance, as well as contractor licensing and enforcement. Permitting and Code Enforcement activity will be performed for emergency permits and life-safety concerns, only, if our office is closed to both Employees and the Public. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Please continue to be diligent and take precautionary measures to keep our community safe.
What We Do
Construction in unincorporated Broward County and also cities we contract with conform to the Florida Building Code and all other laws, ordinances, resolutions and regulations regarding construction, code enforcement, unsafe structure/minimum housing regulations, and elevator safety.
Mandates in Chapter 399 of the Florida State Statutes regarding elevator safety are monitored and strictly enforced. Regulation of all trades and occupations associated with the installation, repair, alteration, design or modification of electrical, plumbing, liquefied petroleum gas, mechanical systems, building construction industry; and engineered construction, as mandated by the Florida Statutes and Chapter 9 of the Broward County Code of Ordinances.
Government to Government
The reality of today’s budget constraints has resulted in several municipalities outsourcing portions or all of their building department functions. We are leading the way as a provider of comprehensive building services at very competitive rates.
We coordinate meetings for the Central Examining Boards, created to regulate specific trades.
There are 6 boards:
Each Board consists of 6-9 members, 3 from the League of Cities and 3 appointed by the County Commission. All members volunteer their time. Each Board is required to meet at least 8 times per year where they, among other duties, review applications, hear complaints and hold disciplinary hearings.
In addition to assisting the Central Examining Boards in issuing Certificates of Competency, we administer a licensed contractor program and an unlicensed contractor program. Both of these programs include receiving and fielding complaints, performing investigations, compiling case files, holding disciplinary proceedings, issuing fines and performing mediation.
Our customized service options include:
For a seamless transition, we recommend your customers continue to submit applications for building permits and other services at your city hall or government center. An on-site Building Official will coordinate the operational activities and with designated city staff as desired by management.Depending on the agreement, plan review activities can be performed on-site or transferred to our centralized permit center, should a large-scale review be required.
All inspection requests will be scheduled and performed according to current code requirements. Fees are typically collected on-site and may include a municipal cost recovery charge at the city’s request to adjust for associated municipal administrative costs related to specific building services application processing. Zoning code and property maintenance code enforcement services may be available under certain circumstances to full service customers.
Guaranteed Partial Staffing